Boot Sector Recovery NTFS

Discussion in 'Software' started by HelenSnow, Nov 6, 2005.

1. HelenSnow

HelenSnow Private E-2

Hello,
    I have somehow damaged my XP (NTFS) operating system and cannot boot, it gives me the message disk read error press ctl alt del to restart every time i turn on th computer.

I used the program from SnapFiles called "NTFS Reader for DOS" I think the program was recovrntfs.com anyway,I was able to view the disk data, but it said that the Boot Sector was corrupt.

I have spent hours downloading various pieces of crap (and paying for some)that I thought would help me, only to find that they do not work.

The last purchased was did not allow me to create a bootable floppy, so that was a waste of money. :rolleyes:

Is there some application, that I can run from a floppy, that will recover my boot sector/MBR /partition etc so that I can copy off the data. If I could just copy off the data from a dos prompt I would be happy.

If I boot from a floppy I cannot see the C: drive, as one is fat the other NTFS(C:)

I am more than happy to pay for a tool once it has done the job completly, I'm not wasting any more money on promises that have really upset me.

Please please help.

Helensnow :)
    PS: Oh, for any smarties, yes I did back up my data every day, this just happened to be at the end of the day, so I stand to loose a days' work which is a lot for me, it was an important day

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hi Helen,

I can tell by your post this is very important to you and I didn't want your thread to slip by without some response.

I do not have a great deal of experience with recovering data but have heard good things about GetDataBack http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2773. From my understanding it is a full-featured trial version if you would like to try it, and, if it fits your needs.

One thing, have you had the case open before this started? If so, check your IDE cables and make sure they are not loose.

You will get some other suggestions I'm sure and good luck. :)

Steve

3. HelenSnow

HelenSnow Private E-2

Thanks Steve,
    I tried the hyperlink,but it takes me to a blank page, has the page been removed?

Helen

4. HelenSnow

HelenSnow Private E-2

Hi Steve,

I've found the application, and I will try it out,.

Many thanks
    Helen :)

5. HelenSnow

HelenSnow Private E-2

Hello again :)

I need a bit more help, the GetDataBack application really needed me to piggy back the disk drive to another system, which proved to be problamatic, anyway itdid help me to get to th IBM Recovery prompt.

I have now re-installed the HD in the IBM DeskStar

I've created a NTFS bootable disk

I can boot and look on the C: drive, but I am at a loss at what I am looking at
    where does IBM on an IBM DeskStar store the Windows My Documents?

It appears that they hard code the Windows XP onto the harddisk as the bios seems to have a full XP installation feature, unless that is in ROM/EPROM etc

Any ideas on how to get to [My Documents]

I can see one directory called PCDR one called Recovery and one called IBMWORK of course theer are a ton of files in theer too, but no obvious way to navigate to [My Documents]

Please help if you can
    Sincerely
    Helen Snow
    Feeling a bit snowed under right now :rolleyes:

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Is there a system folder found.0100? If so, look there.

Steve

7. HelenSnow

HelenSnow Private E-2

Hello thanks for replying :)

I have just checked and did not find that file. However, I noticed that the disk drive is named IBM_SERVICE .....Is it possible that the data is somehow in IBM's world lodged else where, I tried D: E: F: etc with no luck, I was just wondering as it seems that I might be on the Hard Coded section of the hard disk (My supposition only)

Many thanks I appreciate any feedback

Sincerely
    Helen Snow
    I feel the rumble of a snow plough :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds