boot.tidserv.B but computer not booting

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandybeach, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sandybeach

sandybeach Private E-2

Hi All...

I am trying to help a friend with his computer. (I work in computers - programming, that's how I got the call to help). It's a Sony Vaio (not sure what's in it exactly). It used to run Windows 7 Home Premium. Right now, when I turn on the computer, it shows the Viao screen, then a blinking cursor for a few seconds, then just a black screen. :cry

I've used his Windows 7 disk to boot it up, but then Windows wants to install. I'd like to save his data if possible.

I've used his Norton Recovery CD and it tells me it has boot.tidserv.B and Norton can't fix it - but it does say "run a full system scan"...

I've not found a similar instance about this on majorgeeks, so thought I would ask for a little advice. I've used the site in the past to clean other friend's computers as well as mine and love the work y'all do! :major

Thanks in advance!
    Sandy

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved your thread to the software forum as you will need to be able to boot the system before we can do any malware removal.

3. sandybeach

sandybeach Private E-2

I've double-checked and I do see the hard drive in the BIOS setup.

Computer (laptop actually) goes from Sony screen (and the keyboard, etc lights come on) to a black screen with a blinking cursor for a couple of seconds and then to a black screen. I never see the windows startup screen at all and so can't boot into safe mode.

I've also removed the battery and put it back in.

Thanks!
    Sandy

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Apparently it is a boot virus
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Boot-TidServ-B/td-p/383244

I would NOT attach a knowingly infected hard drive to my computer to save someone's files.

If you are brave, you can attach the hd by an adapter to a USB port on a working computer. (If you decide to do this, get a good image of your computer so you can restore should you get infected).
    Example of such an adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ata_to_usb_2.0_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product

5. plodr

More info on what you are dealing with
    http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=74469
    Another reason not to simply attach the infected hd to another computer that might also get infected.

6. sandybeach

sandybeach Private E-2

Would it be possible to boot to a cd image of linux or something and then save those files?

I do have the hardware to attach other hard drives to another machine as a USB device. Was trying not to do this so as to not infect any other machines.

Thanks,
    Sandy

7. plodr

Yup, linux can do that but if you attach an external to the infected computer and drag the files to it, does the external drive run the risk of getting infected? That I can't answer. Maybe someone who is versed in malware knows.
    Paging TimW!

8. sandybeach

sandybeach Private E-2

ok - I will go re-install Windows. I found out that he has a backup from a month or so before he got the infection, so he's cool with just formatting and re-installing windows.

Thanks guys for all the help!

9. TimW

I am frankly not sure about this particular virus. But as a general rule, you should only backup personal files and data. No exe files or system files. Then use an up to date AV and AS program to scan the backups before reinstalling them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  10. doogood55

doogood55 Private E-2

I need some serious help. You mind helping me?

11. TimW

You will recieve help if you start your own thread and tell us what problems / issues you are having. If it is a malware issues, you need to follow the below instructions and when you have the requested logs, start a thread in the Malware Forum and attach those log:

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds