Boot up a non booting laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by christopherjellybean, Jun 1, 2008.

1. I have a HP zx5000 laptop that the power plug has gone bad. I need to get some stuff off the hard drive but since it would mees up when I tried to start it I'm figuring that it messed up the boot.ini? It start up fine..bios screen..looks like MS is about to start and the a flash of a blue screen and then I starts all over again. I don't know what the bluescreen says-flashes to fast.Is there a way I can get it to at least boot in safe mode or even repair it so I can get the stuff of it?I'm sure a reinstall will fix it or a repair of XP with too but doesn't either option erase everything?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Press F8 repeatedly right after the laptop logo screen goes away. You will be presented with the Windows Boot Options menu; select 'Disable automatic restart after system failure'. That will prevent the PC from rebooting at the blue screen so you can see the error. Post the error number (it'll look something like 0x0000007F) and the message (a common one is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME) and the file name if one is listed. We can then work on providing a fix for you.

3. Thanks for tha quick reply!I just tried to restart it and was distracted by my kids fighting so i was going to just shut it down and restart it again and do the F* but it went right to windows like nothing was wrong??? And here I've messed with it for about a week! Anyway everything seems fine. I copied all my files I needed and was going to restart it again to see the error code. Figured it was a one time thing it starting.But it boots fine-IF I hold the power cord in the plug and hold my mouth the right way ha ha. Now to tear it down and repalce the plug.But just in case, anynone want a 9 pound brick if I screw it up?
    [​IMG]
    Them dang computers!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds