Booting from a USB Hard Drive-is it possible

Discussion in 'Software' started by Maxx102, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Maxx102

Maxx102 Private E-2

Hello,

I have a question regarding booting up different OSes. I have an Alienware laptop and thanks to my own stupidity, I ended up downloading a virus....well I did a complete reformat and reinstalled all of my software. Then I get my free Vista upgrade disk in the mail and I installed it. To make a long story short some of my favorite games wouldn't work anymore on Vista, but ran fine under XP.

So, I reformated the hard drive.....again..and went back to XP. I have 3 versions of XP, plus the upgrade disk for Vista and while I liked the graphics and the neat features, of Vista.....would it be possible to install XP/Vista on my 250 gig Maxtor HD in a USB enclosure and be able to switch back to the Laptop's HD when I want to game and my regular stuff??? Is it possible to have it do this from the BIOS???

Also, could I use this idea to load up a Linux harddrive like Ubuntu?

Let me know

Thanks.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. Maxx102

Maxx102 Private E-2

Thank you, i'll give it a shot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds