Booting From Aomei Rescue Disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stephen_c16, May 14, 2016.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Greetings all,
    I am interested in getting my teeth into Aomei Backupper Standard 3.2 with regards to backing up and creating clone disks. My problem is understanding how to det the new Windows 10 Bios/UEFI settings sorted so that it will boot up from the rescue drive created by the Aomei program.
    I am familiar with the older Bios mechanism with Boot order but I can't get my head around the new UEFI options.
    Any ideas where to look...
    Best wishes,
    s.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm sure we could mostly have lived quite happily without UEFI. I certainly could have anyway :rolleyes: You need to search your UEFI/BIOS settings for Secure Boot and disable it, and also look for Legacy Boot Options and enable that. Then it starts behaving more like a traditional BIOS system and you can boot from other disks and flash drives.

3. Stephen_c16

Thank you E, I am making plans for a neighbours laptop and so I want to make sure I know what I am doing. I did come across this which suggests if you press Fn + F12 at the first stages of boot up it will take you to Boot Menu and then, I suppose, you would get a choice of boot Options. Do you think that would happen without changing the UEFI stuff?
    I shall probably see tomorrow.
    regards,
    s.

4. Earthling

That wouldn't enable booting from CD. You have to change the UEFI settings before that is possible.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just got a UEFI based laptop a couple of weeks ago. UEFI is a real PITA.

Along with having to set it to Legacy Boot, Secure Boot disabled so I could even boot to USB, it WON'T boot from a USB connected optical drive. It has to be a Flash drive or USB connected hard drive.

I can set boot priority so the internal optical drive is ahead of the hard drive but, on my laptop, the tray open button only works when it wants to so, I don't like using it.

6. Stephen_c16

Hello again. So I headed off with my Acronis startup disk and headed for the Lenova. Fn + F12 worked! No messing around with that legacy stuff in the UEFI. The screen opened with Boot choices. Hard disk or CD/DVD drive. It booted up as it does on my machine. When he gets a SSD drive I will be happy to sort it out with Aomei.
    Thanks for the help.
    s.

Looking forward to the lie-in tomorrow.

7. Earthling

I guess it depends on which Lenovo you have and which UEFI version. Fn +F12 on my ThinkPad E335 just gets you into UEFI/BIOS and leaves you to it.

8. Stephen_c16

I thought I would have to see what happens with the F12/Fn combination. there were three booting options the third -if I remember correctly was network-something. I was so please to see something I understand CD/DVD drive that I clicked on it and hoped. Hooray! It does make it all a lot easier. Next time I go around I shall take my Puppy USB stick and see if I can make that work.
    I find this site a wonderful sounding board and always feel a little proud if I find out something new. It takes me back to the 70's when I was studying for an A level in Computer Sciences and the tutor made an extraordinary statement.

'Of course computers will never be able to talk. They would need the power supply of Manchester to be able to do that.'

The sort of thing you remember.
    Best wishes,
    s.

9. Earthling

Oh, how I love Puppy! Just found another use for it - I run VMs of all previous versions of Windows using VMWare Player, but backing up VMs in Windows can be problematical and often doesn't work. But Puppy, free of all the file restrictions in Windows, does the job perfectly every time. Like you Stephen, I love to come across something new :)

10. mdonah

But when Stephen wants to boot from that Puppy USB, he'll have to muck about in UEFI and switch to Legacy. There's no USB boot option otherwise. Like he says, CD, HDD and NIC.

11. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Ha now you know how i feel my brand new laptop is all most completely locked down in bios.Legacy Boot is such a pain mine will not even allow me to run windows XP unless i use my UBCD.It took me all most 6 days to get windows 10 reinstalled be cause my hard drive crashed.I had to replace the hard drive same kind of course.A lot of newer laptops will not allow the use of windows xp its' not acpi compliant with newer hardware.

Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  12. mdonah

I've got mine set for Legacy Boot as well which is fine with me because I can even boot to floppy with this laptop if I needed to install an AHCI driver to install XP.

I can't use GPT in Legacy Boot though only MBR. I have 4 Windows versions installed on separate partitions but wanted 5.

Speaking of hardware issues, I booted my two week old laptop yesterday and didn't even get a POST screen! But, fortunately, it turned out that one of the RAM modules needed re-seating (phew!).

13. Stephen_c16

My hope is that if there is a USB plugged-in on Boot up and I press Fn/F12 an extra option; viz. Boot from uSB will be present...
    Might check it out later. Though I've got a table needing scraping and painting.
    s.

14. Stephen_c16

Thank you mdonah you are right.
    No USB option and because there was no CD in the drive, no CD/DVD option.
    At least I know how to run a bootable cd without changing anything on the Bios.
    Thanks again,
    s.

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I purchased a computer in 2009 and I thought there was no option to boot from a USB drive. It took me a few years to discover that under boot options,(pressing F12 at startup for a boot menu) if I selected HD, I got an option for fdd. If I selected that and had a USB stick plugged in, it booted from the USB stick.

Examine all the boot options and perhaps booting from USB is hidden under a different heading like my computer.

16. Stephen_c16

Thank you pkodr, When USB boot up wasn't an option I disconnected my Poppy USB. Not wanting to confuse the startup process. It isn't my laptop and so I'm not too concerned but I might follow your suggestion to see if it's available. I also want to see if my bootable cd/Plop Boot Manager would allow my Poppy USB stick to Boot.
    Thanks for your help,
    s.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds