Booting in Safe Mode with USB Keyboard

Discussion in 'Software' started by CharlesE, Jun 12, 2010.

1. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. My keyboard uses USB. The problem with this is that the keyboard is not active until the system booted up to the point of asking for a log-on password. This means that holding and pressing F8 while the computer is starting will not work. Is there some other way of starting in safe mode?

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you can open up msconfig (just type msconfig into the Start Search box) and then click the Boot tab and tick Safe boot and Apply > Close and reboot.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried booting to bios screen, (usually f2, or, del button, immediately as it starts up with a borrowed keyboard, or, getting an adaptor for your keyboard, that will allow you to convert the usb to the old fitting ?-you can buy these very cheaply -£1, or, thereabouts on ebay. I just bought a couple for older pc's, and they can be useful.
    Once in the bios, choose to allow legacy usb support.

4. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

Thanks for the prompt replies. The msconfig method is my choice to use since it is easier than the second approach.

Charles

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds