Booting the computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by TEAM, Apr 6, 2008.

1. TEAM

TEAM Private E-2

Hubby just recently had to install vista on his computer after it crashed....everything is working fine now, with one minor exception.....when the computer boots up, it stops at an early screen before running windows and requires him to push the F1 key.....I was thinking this may have something to do with his BIOS....but how, what, why...and how do i skip the F1 key and have it continue directly to windows like it used to?

It stops at the Screen where it shows his main processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3000+ and memory, etc.... a bunch of IDE channel info,

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.....

any ideas what I need to do or change?

2. Publius

Publius Sergeant

I had the same problem with a computer at work. The cause was a BIOS battery that had been dislodged from the slot that it is clipped into. If it is a desktop, it should be easy to open the tower and take a look at the mother board. The battery looks like a large watch battey, usually about the size of a quarter.

3. TEAM

TEAM Private E-2

Thanks Publius....It doesn't look like that was his problem though...but we did figure it out.....we had to change his floppy A to NONE in the Standard CMOS screen and then we changed something else in the Advanced BIOS dealing with the floppy drive, as he does not have one and we think when he installed vista, the computer set itself to a default to look for a floppy drive...

anyway, it all works properly now.....

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The halt at F1 after a hardware change, or a reset as you did, happens with many BIOS, for example adding a new hard drive / DVD drive.
    With some Bios you can disable this feature.

5. TEAM

TEAM Private E-2

Ahhhhh,
    Thank you...am learning so much....
    Love these forums!!!!!! Sometimes I wonder how the heck we got through school without internet !!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds