Booting to old Dell install of XP with Asus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dark_Oppressor, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Dark_Oppressor

Dark_Oppressor Private First Class

I just bought almost a new computer, with the exception of my old hard drives and dvd drives. It's got an Asus A8N Nforce4 chipset mobo and an Athlon 64 X2 4400+. After building it, I started her up and the bios ran fine, detecting everything as it should. However, when it got to the part of the process where it should boot to my master hard drive(a hard drive I bought a while back and put in my Dell computer, installing Windows XP with my Dell XP cd), it simply stopped, and there it stayed. I played around, and can boot to cds just fine, but not to my hard drive. I tried to boot to the Dell Windows XP cd I had, but apparently it detects that it's in a non-Dell system and refuses to run.
    Any ideas why I can't boot?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You probably need to format the hard drive as the new system is not compatible with the OS on the drive. You are going to need a plain old XP cd by the looks of it.

3. Dark_Oppressor

Dark_Oppressor Private First Class

Alright, looks like I can get XP home OEM for around 90 bucks on Newegg, I guess I'll do that ><

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

That would be the best bet.

If it is not XP SP2 download service pack 2 & slipstream it with the XP cd. All updated in one load. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds