BOOTMGR missing from fresh install - BIOS Issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm working on a PC from Hell tonight.

The hacked copy of Vista Premium 32 was booting via GRUB4DOS as an .iso image and had at least 20 distinct virus/malware infections.

Since I have a legit. retail Vista code from an old machine, I pulled the HDD to test it (WD Data Lifeguard, passed) and reformat it (NTFS, quick format).

Reinstalled drive, attempted to boot from internal DVD drive: BOOTMGR missing. Tried again with external DVD drive: Same thing.

Downloaded latest BIOS version from ASUS, installed using EZ-Flash (inside BIOS settings screen). Reset board to default settings. Removed and reinstalled CMOS battery. Tried a Windows 7 OEM install DVD: BOOTMGR still missing.

Although the BIOS update message said it successfully updated, I'm thinking one or more of the viruses/malware that were on the system before I reformatted the drive may have done damage to the BIOS, board or CPU.
    It's an ASUS P5 series with an Intel E5400 CPU (and no, I forgot to save the Malware Bytes log file before reformatting the drive :banghead) .

Is there anything I'm overlooking, or should I declare the motherboard legally dead?

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Have you tried a different HD? I have not headrd of a virus that can damage the BIOS and I dont see how a virus could damage either MB or CPU.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I finally discovered the answer was both the HDD and the motherboard. rolleyes

The HDD Low Level Format tool is great! It got rid of the BOOTMGR issue; however the board (a little over a year old) was still acting flaky: The on-board Ethernet was dead and it would hang excessively or not boot about half the time -- not sure if this was the result of malware attacking the BIOS or just a coincidence. In any case, I replaced it with an entry-level Intel board and have a happy customer. :)

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds