bootup stops at Applying Security Policy

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paulag, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Paulag

Paulag Private E-2

Laptop running w2k only boots as far as applying security policy.

I've tried booting from the w2k setup cd and repairing the drive and the settings, but it still won't boot. I have left this for hours and it never progresses.

I have tried booting into safe mode up it also hanging at the authentication and eventually errors that netlogon isn't running. It then presents the login window and I've tried putting in the administrator password, but it just hangs there.

If tried booting with and without the network connected to the laptop.

I have tried selecting the last know good configuration at the f8 boot menu, but no luck.

A posting on another forum suggested this could be due to an incorrectly DNS but I can't get logged so that I can check or modify these setting.

Any suggestions?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You could try halting the DNS client service, using the recovery console. It is not essential to starting Windows. you will need the commands

listsvc lists services and drivers

enable/ disable serrvice or driver

Good luck

3. Paulag

Paulag Private E-2

Thanks, Studiot

I tried disabling many of the non-vital services but it's still stopping at the same place.

Is there anyway to tell what it is waiting for?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If it's the security service, lsass you are out of luck.
    It is obviously not a corrupt/lost system file - it would report that with an error message.

Can you post a list of services?

5. Paulag

Paulag Private E-2

RESOLVED: Re: bootup stops at Applying Security Policy

I tried running an chkdsk on the workstation and found that after about 28% it got extremely slow.

After running chkdsk a couple of time to make sure the drive was clean, the workstation booted fine.

I'm thinking that the long check of the drive coupled with the hybernate settings was causing the bootup to hang at applying security policy. Hybernation would kick in and the check was never completing.

Thanks for the help.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

;):major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds