Bottleneck Between Cpu And Gpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trex™, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

Before getting into the details, I just want to make it known that I'm not having any type of issue or problem that might cause me to think I have a bottleneck. Rather, I'm wondering if the full potential of the graphics card is not being reached. Please let me know what you all think.

Processor: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core, 3.8 Ghz
    Video Card: NVidia GeForce 1050ti 4GB

If more information is needed, I can certainly provide it. Off the top of my head, there's no overclocking going on, and the 1050ti is 2GB dedicated and 2GB shared. The system has 8GB of RAM. Again, I haven't noticed any issues, it's simply a matter of wanting to know what amount of graphical resources are being wasted, if any at all, due to lack of processing power.

Thanks!

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

"Between" the CPU and GPU? Sadly, you left out what is probably the most vital information - your motherboard.

Communications "between" the CPU and graphics card (and CPU and RAM) is done across the motherboard's main BUS. Without knowing which motherboard you are using, we don't know that bus speeds. That said, boards typically have bus speeds to complement the CPUs they support. So I doubt there is a problem there.
    Where are you getting that information? There should not be any "sharing" going on with a card. That's one of the main advantages of using a card instead of integrated graphics. And I see no sharing in the card's specs here.

3. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

Hmmm... you know what? I think I was looking at a comparison between cards and not just the specs of the 1050 ti... haha, my bad. I could've swore I saw that noted somewhere, though. As far as the bus speed, its a 64 bit system running Windows 10 Home Edition. Here's a couple key pieces of info you mentioned that I neglected to provide:

System Model: MS-7641
    BaseBoard: MSI

Other than this, I didn't find much else. The Model # should reveal the information needed, hopefully. It seems a fair amount of math skills would need to be applied to figure this out... like... 64 bit system bus, and 128 bit GPU bus, each device having a different clock speed. I don't even know how to go about writing the equation for that one... but when it comes down to it, I just wanted to give the geek community a new topic to exercise on, keeping you all sharp, and on your toes, while possibly teaching me something in the process.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

No, 64-bit is the width of the data path and has nothing to do with the BUS speed.

Think of 64-bit as the number of lanes on the highway. Obviously 64 lanes can carry more cars than a 32-bit (lane) highway. But how fast they move is a different story. Your motherboard supports up to 1333MHz DDR3 RAM. The DDR means "double duty rate" so with a 667MHz bus x 2 (double duty), you get 1333MHz. Bottom line is, your BUS is not a bottleneck you need to worry about.

Typically, the more common bottlenecks found in computers is the amount of RAM (and 8GB is a nice amount), the graphics solution (and you have a nice card), CPU (and you have a nice CPU) hard drive access, and network bandwidth. There's not much you can do about hard drive access except make sure you have lots of free space for Windows to work in. Beyond that, you would need to replace your hard drives with SSDs. And for network access, your local network is probably not a problem, but your Internet may be - depending on your contract with your ISP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds