bought a new headset and sound still messed up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dylanzzz, May 23, 2013.

1. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

Hey, i have a big problem with my computers speakers. About a week ago my sound started to mess up and the only way to hear anything with my headset was to plug it in only half way, if it was plugged in the whole way i couldnt hear anything at all. With it plugged in half way though I can barely hear at all. I bought a new headset and have the exact same problem so i know its my computer. This is a 2011 hp computer and OS is windows 7. I googled my problem and some people talk about sound cards and drivers so I dont know what i need to fix my computer. I have teamviewer if someone wants to come on my computer and try to help if needed. This is unbearable and i really need it fixed!

2. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

I found some info to help:

speakers name is Realtek High Definition Audio

driver name is RTKVHD64.sys

3. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

I can only hear from the left side of my headset by the way, right side has no sound

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The Realtek High Definition Audio is integrated into the motherboard and apparently has gone sour.

We'll need to know the model of the HP computer so someone can advise you on what type of sound card you're going to need to purchase and install.

5. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

ok how do i found the model of my pc

6. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

oh i looked on back of my comp and it says:

hp pavilion hpe
    model number h8-1114

and btw, when i buy a sound card what do u mean install it? how do i do that

7. mdonah

There should be a label on the computer that states the model number among other information like the serial number.

Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? This will affect the options you have

8. mdonah

If this is your computer, you would need to open the case and insert the card into one of the PCI slots inside and near the back of the computer. Then you would need to install the driver(s) for the sound card.

On some computers, it is possible to tie the front headphone jack into the PCI sound card. If that's not possible on your computer, there are headphone extension cables.

The "your computer" link above is an HP Support Document. If the warranty for your computer is still in effect, you could also look into having warranty repair work done.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  9. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

what do u mean insert the card? i dont even have a sound card yet u didnt tell me what to get, and i dont know how to open up my computer

10. mdonah

At this point, I think your best bet would be to go with warranty repair if your warranty is still in effect. Click on that link to the support document I included in my last post. On the left side of that page are other links to areas within HP including Warranty information.

Since I don't have your computer or one exactly like it in front of me, I really can't advise you/show you what to do and I'm really sorry I wasn't of any help. :-o

11. Dylanzzz

Dylanzzz Private E-2

well im going to best buy tomorrow and bringing my computer in, do u think they will know how to fix the problem?

12. mdonah

Is Best Buy an HP factory authorized Warranty service provider? They have Geek Squad but…

You might be better off going to the HP support site and locating a factory authorized service center in your area.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

From what you state about your issue in that the headphones will only work if plugged in half way and not full way in , really aims at a hardware issue and that will never be fixed with drivers etc,

If your desktop or monitor/PC speakers work ok then your audio drivers are ok and do not need changing or updating.

14. mdonah

This is a quote from Brownizs in a post regarding a power adapter from today's postings:

"Do not even think about taking it to Worst Buy, because you might as well just take a running jump against the building, due to that is what it will feel like after they are done with you."

So, again, I recommend you take your HP computer to a factory authorized service center in your area instead of Best Buy..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds