Bought athlon xp2600 on ebay but bios is reading as duron 2083 on boot up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Hi, I purchased an athlon xp 2600 cpu w/333 fsb and after I opened up the package I noticed it had a few bent pins (a bad sign, I know) . I straightened them out and tried it anyway. Well, at first it didn't work. But now it does. However; the boot up screen shows the cpu as a duron 2083. I have the cpu fsb set in bios to be 166 (doubled as 333). The multiplier is set to auto so I know what it is set at. Does anyone know what it should be?
    The sticker on the cpu states that it is an athlon xp 2600. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the MB? Or by having bent pins it isn't running quite right?
    I used this cpu in a game of Call Of Duty 2 and while playing noticed some strange anomalies in the graphics. So, how do know if it is really an athlon xp 2600, if not by the sticker? Thanks, Mcduke

2. ElectricNacho

ElectricNacho Private E-2

Normally on top of the processor is a bunch of writing -
    Have a look here

If that doesn't help, a little program called cpu-z will help you identify your processor, assuming it's not being reported wrong in the bios (someone correct me if Im wrong).

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

All the info that is on the sticker points to the cpu being an athlon xp 2600 w/333 fsb. But, I ran the cpu z program and it says that it's a duron cpu. The motherboard is an MSI and the bios is set to automatically detect the cpu type. So, even though the sticker states xp 2600 the bios and cpu z program says Duron. Anyone know why???:confused:

4. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Sticker? What do you mean by "sticker"?

Usually, the AMD logo and identifying information is silk-screened right onto the ceramic carrier. There's no sticker as such. If you've got that information printed on a sticker that was applied to the ceramic, peel it off and see what's under it. I'm wondering if the chip was mis-labelled.

Also keep in mind that the Athlon XP processors don't run at the speed implied by the number (unless they're way overclocked). The number is AMD's estimate of how fast an Intel P4 would have to run to match the Athlon processor.

I don't know what an Athlon XP 2600+ should run at, but I do know that a 2500+ runs at 1833MHz. I think it's the 2800+ that runs at 2083MHz.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds