Bought new Solid State Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chairman Wood, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Chairman Wood

Chairman Wood Private E-2

Hello,

I just purchased a Corsair Force Series 3 Solid State Hard Drive for my new computer. From a friend I got the idea of installing it to be my drive with windows 7 on it and a few other essential program and having all of the other programs and files on the hard drive that came with it.

I opened the box and there are no directions.

1. Is it just like installing a normal hard drive? What do I have to do differently if it is a SSD? What do I have to do differently if I want it to be my main drive with Windows on it?

2. It appears with this new computer (Acer) didn't come with a Windows 7 cd. Is there anyway of transferring Windows 7 from the regular Hard Drive to the new one without the cd?

Thank you very much in advance,

Kurt

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Defraging groups all of the segments of a file together to that the head has less distance to move to read the whole file thus speeding up read times.

SSD's dont have a head which is why there is a performance increase with SSDs. therefore the actual location of the segment on the disk is irrelevant and defragging will not give you any performance increase

ssds have a limited number of read and writes before that segment dies. so by defraging and reading and writing information you actually age the drive prematurely.

I haven't used one myself, but the interface is the same essentially the installation is the same.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, just install W7 on it. W7 'knows' SSD's and how to properly handle them, by default it will not defrag the drive. Something you might want to do is move the pagefile to your hard drive. Someone else will have to tell you how as I'm running Linux on my measly 40GB drive ATM. I hope that I didn't duplicate anyone's links as I didn't read them.;)

5. bigbazza

Thanks Tueur for your reply.

I said Why is defragmenting bad for ssds?
    I should have said Why defragmenting is bad for ssds.:-D and quoted the links.

Bazza

===

6. Chairman Wood

thanks for all the answers so far!!!!! Great help and I loved the links!

I have an Acer computer like I said, a problem I've noticed is that when I want to reconnect the other standard hard drive I don't have a SATA cable (I plugged the one that was formally in the standard drive into the SSD). Should one have come with the SSD or an extra one with the computer? Is there a special type of SATA Cable for the SSD? If so or if not, can I find a SATA cable in just most computer stores?

I can plug the SATA cables into any of the SATA Input cables that I want on the mother board right?

Is there any problem if the power plug that powers my SSD (SATA power connector) is on the same set of cords as the power plug that will power the standard drive?

Thank you so much again!

7. bigbazza

Thanks augie. :cool I didn't know that. :-D
    Can you post a link, so I can database it?

Bazza

===

8. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Any SATA data cable will do. your system will try abd boot from SATA drives in numerical order lowest first. So put your boot drive on 1 and your data drive on 2.

Having both on the same power cable is fine.

some drives come with the cable, some dont.

9. augiedoggie

This is what I get from using my memory, as poor as it is.:p:-D I know the first generation SSD's might have had issues but the next ones using TRIM were OK. Again from a faulty memory. I'll try to nail that down for you tomorrow bazza, read the fried turkey thread instead.;):-D:zzz

Is gluttony a sin?:innocent BRAAAPPP!!!

10. Chairman Wood

Thanks for all the help so far! Quick question: How do I know if my SSD has TRIM?

11. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Memtest86?

12. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

It should be stated on the HD but this may be of use

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

14. augiedoggie

The following is info about my Intel X25-V. I think all SSD's now have TRIM.

15. augiedoggie

They'd be nuts if they didn't have TRIM today.

16. bigbazza

Thanks to all who have contributed about TRIM. :cool
    So much to learn, so little time.:-D :major

Bazza

17. Chairman Wood

I've followed your link, it's great and now I'm at the bottom of it about turning off Indexing. So I attempted to follow the instructions, I click apply and it gives me two options

Apply changes to drive C:\ only
    or ....... C:\, subfolders and files

I clicked the 2nd option and it gave me an error saying

"Access denied Need to provide demonstrator permission to change attributes"

So I looked up how to enable the administrator account and signed in. I attempted the same process and even as an admin, I got the same message. However I was allowed to continue but upon continuing I received another message saying "An error occurred applying attributes to the file:
    C:\Boot\memtest.exe
    Access is denied.

So why is access denied if I am logged in as an admin? What am I doing wrong here?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds