Bought some new parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matth3w, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

I just bought some new parts.

3.0ghz Pentium 4 "Prescott"
    Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G motherboard
    WD Raptor 10k RPM hard drive (SATA)

The prescott is a socket 478, and that motherboard is a socket 478, they should work, right? i mean, the motherboard doesnt HAVE to be JUSt for prescott, right?

i think this confirms it will work, correct?

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-8I848P-G.htm

Additionally, I have 2gb PC3200 ram and a X800XL vid card....

I am hoping to run this with no problems. I am upgrading from an Athlon 1.84ghz...hopefully this will be a slight improvement, with the new tech hard drives, what do you think?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Everything looks good to me,but what bran powersupply do you have an how many watts is it.. When you get it up and running i should say you will be able to tell the new system will be a whole lot faster.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

its a 400w supply, cyberzone

4. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

what should i set it to, 800mhz? also, what setting for the RAM in the bios? my current setup with the same ram has an option for a higher speed in the bios but when i turn it up, windows wont load.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

IIRC you have to choose one or the other.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds