Brand new ASUS laptop.... Bad Idea.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oliveboomer, Feb 4, 2011.

1. oliveboomer

oliveboomer Private E-2

I got a new laptop from Best Buy about a month and a half ago.

Worked great, until last night, while watching tv on Hulu.com, it started to make this squealing noise. It has NO rhythm, just comes and goes as it pleases, sometimes it is a long beep, and sometimes just very short and quick. After a few mins of this, it just shut down. I tried to turn it back on, and it didn't even let me sign in. I gave up.. until today, I tried to turn it on, and it did what the computer called a system recovery start up. Then it wanted to use a restart point. My brother thought it was a virus, so we let the computer do its thing. It is on and running now.. But still with the ever so annoying squeals.
    This time ASUS is allowing us to send in the laptop. Saying that it will take between 10-20 business days.

Is this worth it??
    And what would you say is the problem here??:confused

A few years ago I got an ASUS, and I was told the motherboard fried (within a week), I was given a new laptop, and the same thing happened again. I ended up getting an hp..

After vowing then to never buy from ASUS, I figured I'd try just once more.. and here we are again.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It could be cooling fans. My Gateway made a similar squealing sound. I removed the heatsink assembly then cleaned and relubricated the fans and the squeal has not returned in a year. Mine was 5 years old and well out of warranty so I had little to lose, but I recommend you send it in under the warranty.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Best Buy usually limits returns to 30 days; however I don't see any harm in attempting to see if the store will do an exchange instead of making you send it back for repair. Although there are no guarantees; here are a few tips that may convince the store manager to make an exception:

* Research the user reviews on your specific model at BestBuy.com, NewEgg.com and Amazon.com. If several other people have complained about a similar issue, print the pages out to document your case.

* Be firm but nice. Having worked in retail management, it's true you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

* Research other models on BestBuy.com in a similar price range. Your odds of getting a store credit/exchange are far better than getting a refund.

* If you have to send it back, ship it insured and keep copious records. If the problem isn't fixed properly check your State Attorney General's website to see if your state has a "lemon law" on electronics that may protect you.

Hope this helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds