Broadband/cable internet connection WIN 98SE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r4v3r, Jan 16, 2007.

1. r4v3r

r4v3r Private E-2

Question:
    How do I connect my Laptop (Win 98SE) to my cable/broadband internet?

Setup:
    Internet -> Modem -> Linux Firewall Box -> Switch -> (1) Desktop 1 (Win XP) -> (2) Desktop 2 (Win XP).
    (see attachment)

I want to hook up my Laptop (Win 98SE) to my network and therefore the internet.

I'm not quite sure what hardware I need as well... i do have usb ports and a pcmcia slot.
    Is it just a simple matter of plugging in my laptop to my switch as shown in my attachment?

Once it is connected... what do I have to do in Win 98SE to setup the internet.

Thanks in anticipation...

Attached Files:

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I assume, that the linux box is shelling out IP's via DHCP?

The nic needs to work within win98 and tcp/ip protocol needs to be installed.

3. r4v3r

r4v3r Private E-2

I'm pretty sure it automatically does through DHCP... I'm using smoothwall express linux and have not changed the configuration...

So after I have installed the pcmcia card, installed the protocols... is it as easy as plugging everything and it should work? No need fiddle with anything else?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

As long as the windows 98se machine recognizes the pcmcia card, there shouldn't be any problems. Recommend, after connecting the card into the laptop and the cat5 cable, ye reboot.

5. r4v3r

r4v3r Private E-2

Thanks! :)

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Don't say thanks until it works! ;)

7. r4v3r

r4v3r Private E-2

True true... actually it's not easy finding a pcmcia card that's not wireless! I might just have to use a usb to ethernet adaptor...

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

We use those usb to ethernet adapters at work all the time! ;)

9. r4v3r

r4v3r Private E-2

Well... I got a PCMCIA card and slotted it in, put in the installation/driver cd that came with it, pointed win98se in the direction of where the card's drivers were, it asked me to insert my win98se cd... which i can't find now! :banghead hehe.

Guess i'll just search for the required drivers and hopefully download them! :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds