Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Apr 22, 2009.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Dell Inspiron 5150, xp home sp3. Cable with router.
    Is the device in the title necessary for my machine to funtion? I send an occasional fax over the phone line + have voice mail.
    Idiabled it as it was an annoyance in the sytem tray.
    Thank you

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Like most other programs you can just start it when you want to. It's ok to disable it from startup and tray.

3. Xcom46

Xcom46 Guest

If your not useing it then just take it out. that's all you have to do.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

hello
    What does it do? This will help me decide whether to disable it or not.
    Thanx again

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The Broadcom 440x 10/100 Controller is the ethernet adapter. If you have DSL/broadband internet then you NEED to have the Broadcom controller functional. Even if you didn't have DSL/broadband internet, leaving it functional cannot possibly cause any problems. But, since you said this:
    I would think that disabling it would cripple your internet access. However, if it was just something in the system tray you disabled, and you still have hi-speed web access, then I wouldn't worry about it.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As dlb mentions dont disable or remove as you loose internet as thats the communications port for ethernet as in your cate52 cable to the router, even if using wifi, keep it as you may need it at some point if wifi fails.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

When I disable it I still have internet access but I think I will keep it enabled from what you have said. I don't thinkthere is a way to remove it from the sytem tray and I guess everybody has the same icon. It seems strange b/c when I go to internet connections the Local Area Connection says disabled.
    Thank you all for your advise.

9. DavidGP

Hi Pete

Ah ok, you may have two ethernet ports, know my old PC had two that used to show up in the tray and yes disabled ones do show with red X in them, but try this not on XP to see if I remembered right, open Control Panel > Network Connections where the disabled network connection is and right click and choose properties and un-tick Show icon in notification area when connected and then OK.

Another option is in Device Manager to disable the correct network adapter there (need to check which one is active if you have multiples) as that can remove the icon.

Could use Hide unused items from the tray bar from the Notification Area > Customize option but IIRC this may pop back up once you reboot in XP.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi Halo
    Everything worked out fine and the information was very useful. Thank you for sticking with this issue until it was resolved.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    In network connections the local area connection says it is unplugged and when I hover the cursor over the icon
    in the systray, there is a red cross over both and they say "Local area connection", "A network cable is unplugged".
    When I go to network connections, local area properties 'configure', it says device enabled.
    I can get online but why am I unable to have the Local Area Connection show that it is functioning if it says that it is enabled?
    Btw, the box 'was unticked that said," Show icon " yet it is still there.
    Contradictions galore!
    Thank you
    P.S. My previous post was in haste.

12. DavidGP

Hi Pete

Indeed Windows can be a tricky thing at times, but just so I have my head around this, how do you connect to the internet?

If its WiFi and you dont want that icon, and as I just read the specs on your laptop just now, and it has afaiks one ethernet port only, boot into your BIOS and disable the network/ethernet port, if you need the port again, then re-enter the bios and enable it.

Or and only if your game is in the registry I found an old note I made on this in removing the unplugged network icon from the registry and best to right click and export the key before deleting so you can restore it if needed at later date.

Open Regedit, Start > Run > regedit > navigate to this location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7007ACCF-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E} and right click it and Export (choose a name to save it as say "backup of network icon in tray" then save to a backup folder > then right click it again and choose delete, reboot and fingers X'd should be gone.

By far the safest route would be to disable it in the Bios (if available option)

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi Halo
    I have your generous information; I want to respond to your question before I do anything. The registry is not an option as I am only an average user.
    Answerto your query: I connect to the internet with the ISP 75 ohm cable entering my surge suppressor>my modem>my router>my pc.
    My laptop card talks with the the router, therefore the laptop is wireless.
    I hope this answers your question and thank you.

14. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Or disable adapter in Device Manager.
    Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Expand Network Adapters > Right click Broadcom 440x 10/100 Controller and choose disable.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Please see the previous posts which state not to disable.

16. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

This was before anyone knew you were connected by wireless and so everyone assumed that you were connected by wire only.

Disabling the Broadcom Controller only disables the wired port at the back of the laptop, it does not disable the wireless adapter.

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Jeepers, I feel like a fool; noone can read minds, sorry. The ommision caused so much time.:(
    I understand what you told me and thank you for your help.

18. DavidGP

Hi lbm, did mention that option on post #9 but not as clear as you my friend.

Hey happens Pete, no harm no foul and as your wifi, disabling the network/ethernet will cause no issues as its got no cable connection to it anyways, hence the disconnected red x, but if you do need it again its easy to enable in device manager or bios.

19. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

:-o:-o:-o

(Note to Self: Read more, Post Less)

20. DavidGP

Nah John, your advice is on the money mate, some issues are not as clear as they seem and backup is needed to reafirm at times from a few sources.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds