Broken Actuator Arms-Can I swap the disc to another?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MLC72, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MLC72

MLC72 Private E-2

I have a Rock 500gb mobile hard drive. model # HDL-SU2 SATAT HDD in a 3.5" STAT enclosure.
    The more I look at this could the Rock Logo on the box simply be a separate enclosure that someone put this drive in?? I bought if off of Ebay and of course the place no longer exsist.
    It was dropped and 2 of the actuator arms bent. So obviously it no longer works.
    I have been told that It can cost me up to 1,200 dollars to retrieve data from the disc. I have also been told that if I find the same exact hard drive that they disc can be swapped into the new one. I have looked all over and can not locate the exact one online anywhere.
    Does it have to be the same brand or can I find any as long as it is the same size? (As I said before is Rock a brand?)
    Obviously I am not a computer expert, that is why I am on here. I do not know who to trust or just to assume this thing is a paper weight unless I spend a huge amount of money taking it to someone professionally or can someone put these disc into another drive?
    Thanks

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Rock is the brand of the disk case.
    http://www.moresales.com.my/catalog/entry/oajmxnwr.shtml

What actuator arms? The ones for the read-write heads? If so, it will need to be taken apart in a special clean room in order to swap the damaged parts. You can't just open a hard drive at your desk and expect it to survive. The slightest speck of dust inside will ruin hard disk parts because the clearances are too small. The $1200 sounds right for such a job. It's up to you to decide if the data is worth it.

You can reuse the case if it is not broken. Just take it apart and replace the broken hard drive inside with a new SATA I/II hard drive.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, if you wish to verify the $1200, Ontrack has a free estimate form - you might also check DriveSavers.

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Wait, how can you tell it has a broken "actuator arm" with out opening it up? :confused

5. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

if you broke a actuator arm ( thats near impossible todo ) then the drive is junk
    metal fragments + spinning platters = scratches = junk
    and unless you have a clean room with a negative pressure to do the swap in you will never get it working again the TINIEST bit of dust and wreek havoc on a drive

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds