Broken Laptop Resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L33t_SSF_Killa, Feb 25, 2010.

1. L33t_SSF_Killa

L33t_SSF_Killa Private E-2

I have a friend with a broken laptop resolution symptoms are:

- Black bar on right side of desktop (1024 x 768) three inches wide extending from top to bottom of the resolution

- Below the desktop bar there is a blurry image of the bar from the start button and over that extends one inch to the bottom of the screen

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers for the laptop model 530 series from HP (Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family) with no changes.

Now the crazy part about all of this is one time during a reset the screen was fine and even worked in (1280 x 600) resolution. The driver doesn't even support that resolution ; when it was booted up to use the internet but when the battery died and was charged and rebooted the old symptoms returned.

:major

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

This sounds like a problem with scaling. Some LCD screens will display smaller resolution images at "native" resolution instead of stretching hem out to full screen. I would think the problem lies in the driver layer. Perhaps try difforent drivers from a different source? Maybe from intels site.

From the sound of it the display supports a max of 1280x600 but the driver is forcing 1024x768 with scaling off. Perhaps you can post a picture of the screen with the black bars?

3. L33t_SSF_Killa

L33t_SSF_Killa Private E-2

Apparently I can not copy and paste anything with print screen so I just remade a picture that represents the issue

[​IMG]

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

If you can screen cap it its not a scaling issue that and scaling is done equally on all four sides. It seems like a driver issue to me. Try drivers from here. Sometimes drivers from OEM's can be buggy. Its normally best to get drivers directly from the chip manufacturer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds