Brother PC-Fax software in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ar2rStiles, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Ar2rStiles

Ar2rStiles Private E-2

Hi Guys,
    I have a Brother MFC-465CN AIO printer/scanner/fax, that I've been trying to figure out how to use the PC-Fax software that comes with the unit. I have a Vista Home Premium machine. In the program list there's a PC-Fax setup section, I add all my info and there's a section where you can add contacts from your Windows Address Book and to create a Brother proprietary address book but what I can't figure out is how to execute the program itself. I cannot find any .exe's that will launch the program in order for me to send Faxes through my pc. If anyone can help me to figure out how to use it I will appreciate it greatly. Thanks.:wine

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. Ar2rStiles

Ar2rStiles Private E-2

Thank you gentlemen for the posts. I got a catch though. If I don't have an actual phone line, I wonder if this is still possible by using a Sprint Sierra Wireless Broadband Card...can this work as a "phone line" since an actual telephone number is associated with it? or do these AIO only work with an actual phone line...

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Aircard do you have as many dont support fax, if its the Sprint Mobile Broadband Card 597E by Sierra then sadly Fax is not supported. Guessing you have a laptop, so not going to suggest a PCI Fax/Modem unless indeed you have a desktop, but you can get PCMCIA Fax/modems but likely that would take up your Aircards slot, so not very viable.

AIOs will only work with an actual phoneline, dont remember them working with mobile lines but stand to be corrected as I have not used a mobile card that has DUN capabilities, but if your card is an Aircard 595 then that has DUN capability as you'd need a phone port on your laptop or card, if you have one its with plugging it into the AIO and trying.

Their are services that allow you to fax via broadband like efax.com is a popular one but these are not free, FaxMail which was free is not discontinuted and I only just looked for a replacement as I dont need fax capabilities now, this one is online and free but advert supported so likely pops an advert on the header page http://www.freefax.com/

One major problem Bazza with that article is that the editor fails to mention that Fax capability that was in XP for both Home and Pro, is not in every Vista version, only in Ultimate, Business and Enterprise is Fax and Scan available.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

The AIO sets up a fax printer. You have to hit print on the document you want to fax and select "Brother PC Fax" as the printer and the dial dialog will popup.
    But you new a pots line to use the AIO.

7. Ar2rStiles

Ar2rStiles Private E-2

I got a Sprint Compass 597 by Sierra Wireless which works through USB, my PCMCIA port is free, I have a Toshiba laptop. I am constantly on the road and on occasions I have the need to fax and I was wondering if this was possible. I was considering the PCMCIA fax modem in order to use the resources that I have available and to avoid paying extra for a service, but I'm yet to find one that works with Vista or an Fax modem that works with a PC-Express port.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds