browser doesn't load pages or loads really slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taggonet, Jul 16, 2011.

1. taggonet

taggonet Private E-2

i'm having problems loading my webpages on my computer. I have dialup and know it's slow, but sometimes the pages don't load at all, sometimes they load in a text/list mode. I have tried avast antivirus, spybot s&d and superantispyware and can't seem to find a problem, any idea what the problem could be? I also use yahoo and msn and often when msn loads it says that the hosts files need to be fixed and there's a problem with the dns, but if i click the repair it fixes msn so it signs on.
    I really am at a loss, and browsing the internet is getting harder every day, please any help would be appreciated. I have attached a hijackthis.log to this post if that would help at all

Attached Files:

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Here are a few things to check not related to viruses and malware:

* If it only happens occasionally on certain sties, it could be an issue with the website's traffic (how many people are trying to access it at one time). If the problem is at the website, delays or failures in web pages loading will happen even with a broadband connection.

* If things start out smoothly and get worse the longer you have been on line, your connection could be slowing over time due to poor line conditions. If a dial-up modem senses line noise, it will usually attempt to lower the connection speed so there is less chance of data loss.

Call your phone company and ask them to do a line check (usually free). This is especially true if you are noticing any buzzing, static or other issues when making a voice call on the same line.

If this doesn't solve the problem, consider one of the following:

* Replace the modem. On a desktop PC, internal modems are dirt cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164004

For a notebook, USB models such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164004 aren't that expensive either.

* Consider a switch to DSL or Cable broadband if available in your area. Many phone and cable companies offer a basic speed package (768KB/s; about 12x the speed of dail-up) for around $20/month. Since you won't have to pay a monthly fee for dial-up service anymore, the actual cost of upgrading may be little or nothing per month.

Hope this helps. :)

3. taggonet

taggonet Private E-2

unfortunately where I live right now there is no other option but to use dial up, as broadband or cable aren't available in the back of beyond.
    As far as the connection slowing down the longer you are online, would it be wise to disconnect and reconnect periodically? or would that even begin to touch the problem?
    Thank you very much for replying!

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I would try the disconnect/reconnect method anytime you notice things slowing down. That, and I'd still contact the phone company to run a line test (especially if they don't charge a fee for it. ;) )

5. sheena

sheena Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds