browser lagging on wireless virgin connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by whazzatt, Sep 5, 2009.

1. whazzatt

whazzatt Private E-2

I've got a wireless setup at home with (occasionally) 3 laptops connected to it. 2 of the laptops always work fine when using internet, be it with explorer or mozilla. The 3rd, however, randomly goes into lag mode when using either mozilla or explorer, so it’s probably not a particular browser problem, but one with my laptop’s settings. Notably, the other laptops both handle googlemaps perfectly. The 3rd laptops browser will go into immediate lag mode when an attempt is made to view a google map.

The most obvious explanation here is the antivirus setup: the laptop with the problematic browser has virgin media’s PCguard running, while the others don’t. But I’ve tried changing the settings to no avail.

MajorGeeks: any ideas?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi whazzatt and welcome to Majorgeeks forums :)

Can you turn off the wireless on the affected laptop and connect it directly to the wireless router via ethernet cable and give it a thorough testing session please?

3. whazzatt

whazzatt Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, can connect to ethernet, but need instructions on how to do the 'thorough testing session' if you don't mind.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Friend had that Virgin PCGuard thing on their PC and had same slow internet at times, plus the app kept breaking so needed to be re-installed repeatedly.

What you could do as a test is to disable or uninstall the Virgin Security software and see if the internet works ok.

My advice to them when I was asked was to remove that Virgin software and install one of the good free antivirus solutions available, plus some otehr core security apps, Firewall, antimalware etc

They went with
    Avast
    Spywareblaster
    PCtools Firewall
    Malwarebytes (as a backup scanner, the free version)

all found in this guide How to Protect yourself from malware!

5. satrow

Just test it with all the apps that you have problems with on wireless, we need to begin by trying to rule things out of the equation - in this instance, the wireless connection from the affected laptop.

6. whazzatt

whazzatt Private E-2

Right, so exactly the same thing happens when the ethernet cable is plugged in, except it happens quicker: the typical example is when google maps is used, total shutdown of the browser occurs. Upon reopening it, I have to wait quite a while to get from the google home page (which loads immediately btw) to anything I hit search for. Worth mentioning maybe is the fact that skype stays functional, as it always does, during the crash of the browser. I'm totally stumped.

7. whazzatt

whazzatt Private E-2

Just seen your reply Halo, will try your advice, many thanks.

8. satrow

No surprise that it happens quicker on ethernet - wireless is laggy ;)

Ok, that ruled out any wireless issue, sounds more like a port-blocking problem now, that is likely to be down to security software malfunctioning, Halo has covered that already.

Good luck :)

9. whazzatt

whazzatt Private E-2

Yip, This one's solved, very quickly too. Damned PCguard. Taking Halo's advice on security. Thanks to both Halo and Satrow, this has been bugging me for ages.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cool stuff on that being the cause, if you uninstall it also run CCleaner (free) to clean up any temps and the registry on that PC, run the registry scan a few times until nothing is needed to be fixed, as some apps leave junk in the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds