Browsers in German!

Discussion in 'Software' started by computer_doc, Jan 10, 2011.

1. computer_doc

computer_doc Private E-2

After a pretty nasty virus clean-up, all browsers (IE8, Firefox & Chrome) were in German. I tried uninstalling, removing folders, reinstalling, changing language, checking OS region/location, flushing dns, cleaning all temp files and cache. The final fix was replacing the hosts file from a known good computer. It is located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. I had to set the file and folder options to show hidden and system files. Also, had to change security setting on the old hosts file in order to rename it "hostsold" so I could paste the new hosts file. Hope this helps someone out there ;)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

So you are saying that everything is back to working normally now? Good to know. ;)

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

The Germans are taking over!? Haha, what a strange side affect of malware, though nothing surprises me these days.

4. computer_doc

computer_doc Private E-2

Yes, everything is working normally now. Just wanted to share the fix in case others have the same problem.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good to know. Safe surfing. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds