BSOD 0x000000ED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by T.G., Jul 27, 2009.

1. T.G.

T.G. Private E-2

The last few days I kept getting "blue screens of death" with different STOP codes while working on my computer. Now my computer can't even boot anymore: when it tries to load Windows the blue screen appears with the following code:
    0x000000ED (0x872BFE30, 0XC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've already tried the following things:
    - Boot into safe mode --> blue screen
    - Ran checkdisk from 2 different Windows CD's --> when I choose "r" for repair the setup hangs after a few seconds. The harddisk makes a "ticking" sound :(
    - Ran Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics --> Fail. Return Code: 4
    - replaced the SATA cable with a new one --> no effect..

My system:
    Dell Dimension 5000
    Pentium 4 - 3,2 Ghz
    1024 MB Ram
    Harddisk: Western Digital Caviar WD2500KS-00MJB0 (250 GB)

Can someone help me with this problem?.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In zip drives this was known as the click of death.

STOP Error 0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    STOP error 0xED means that the I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. STOP code 0x000000ED may also display "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" on the same STOP message.

For this I found
    From all signs, it looks like you had a dying and now dead hard drive.
    If it is still under warranty, contact Dell.

I was hoping to find a listing from Dell with all the error codes but so far I've come up empty.

3. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

yep sounds like that hard-drive is dead

4. T.G.

T.G. Private E-2

Thanks for your help.

I connected the disk to my laptop (SATA to USB cable) today and it started to make that ticking sound again, so it must be dead.

I tried to recover some data using recovery software but it failed. Last option is the "freezing method". Western Digital offers a product replacement service so I contacted them. Do you think Western Digital will see any damage to my harddisk after I tried the freezing trick?

Only one question remains: what can I do to prevent my new hard disk from crashing? This is my second dead hard disk in 3 years, the last one was only a few months old. What am I doing wrong? Or is it just bad luck?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It's the luck of the draw. Some companies have a run of bad drives in certain years, other times the drives work perfectly for years.

I store very little in the way of important files on my hard drives, simply because I expect them to fail. Anything worth keeping should be burned to a CD or DVD. I also image my hd about once a month so if windows doesn't start, I load the image and only have updates to things like AV and windows to grab.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds