BSoD, and win XP simply will not boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by broccolee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. broccolee

broccolee Private E-2

situation/symptoms:

hello i hope there are someone out there who can help me. i was dl and installing new drivers for my cell phone via the usb on my computer. nothing unusual, really. when all that was done i unplugged, and replugged my cell phone to uload music to it, and i got a strange message saying windows dont recognize the usb... or something like that. anyway i fiddled a little but then decided id do a restart in hopes of that solving the problem. however during boot windows crashes, and i get the infamous BSoD. i tried all sort of things, like booting again with the cell unplugged from the computer etc. etc. nothing works.

ive also tried to hit F8 during boot to try and boot in safe mode.... and not even that will work. acutally windows will not boot under any of the booting options... not even booting to the "dos interface" (forgive my lack of vocab). however ive been able to write down what it says on the BSoD. here is the message (i hope someone knows what it means). one more thing, ive translated the text to english as im sure few of you know the language my win version is on, so there may be somethings lost in translation.

stop: c000021a {critical system error}
    System process Session Manager Initialization status
    0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000)

the BSoD appears when windows usually should have taken me to the logon screen.

on a brighter note ive managed to use the recovery console by booting the recovery disc (you know the install disc, and you hit E after its loaded?). however plowing through the commands and trying to understand its significance is quite hard for me all by myself. anyway ive been able to do some things, which i thought intuitively would do for the better of my computer:

i used the [listsvc] command to list up all the services on windows, and what status they have (i.e if the service is loaded upon booting, automatically, manually or disabled). so i found all the services related to my cell phone and had them disabled. also i found some services which starforce use, and had them disabled too. however, then i realized this might not help to do anything with my booting problem, since intuitively these services wouldnt be loaded when booting in safe mode (no?).

another possibility may be that my comp has succumbed to some virus or whatever. the reason is that ive been completly unprotected from viruses bc i havent activated my NIS, yet (dont ask why.... :) ). however it has worked fine like this for weeks, so to me it seems more likely that something wrong happened during updating my cell phone. lastly i do have some unoriginal graphiccard drivers... but that has never caused my this kind of trouble; i was always able to uninstall such drivers.

okay, i really hope there is a possibility of saving windows xp. if not, then i hope it is possible to extract the data i have on my HDD (perhaps by installing another OS, and then burn out all i need) and then reinstall everything... OR take out my HDD and put it into a friend of mine's comp and burn the stuff i need from there, but this is a laptop, so i might need some extra hardware and tips on how take it out of a laptop.

im sitting at my uni writing this since i now dont have any means of surfing from home. alternatively im thinking of bringing my laptop to uni and try to find some answers.
    ill try and answer to the best of my knowledge about any other kind of info you might need in this matter.

in advance, grateful thanks! (pardon my engrish... :p)

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi Broccolee
    Since you are able to boot from CD, may I suggest that you do a "repair". Repair Installation is accessed by entering Windows Setup, as if you were going to re-install. Windows Setup will discover your previous installation and will provide you with the option of repairing or re-installing. With "repair" you'll have the best chance to save your data. The next best, do a new install to a different directory. Example: Your current install == C:\Windows then during the setup procedure choose new directory == C:\WinXP.

3. broccolee

broccolee Private E-2

aha. yes i found this option when i originally was supposed to reinstall everything. anyway i did that... twice, but now i get a new error message saying something along the lines of:

if you get this message for the first time, please reboot. if it reoccurs, check your comp for virus, uninstall new harddisk drivers, or check integrity of the harddisk (presumably meaning chkdsk).

well the message was longer but that was the essence of it. so now i will try and reinstall into another folder as you mentioned. hopefully it'll work better.

4. broccolee

broccolee Private E-2

sorry for the double post. but im sure ill be forgiven when i say i do this to let you know that the problem is solved. my thanks goes to prometheos for pointing out the possibility of installing an additional windows in another folder. it works perfectly. now im able to burn out my precious p... no that was joke, ofcourse, my precious data before i go on and reformat everything. i know my computer could use one. (ps. man windows booted fast now!)

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the post-back, Broccolee. You did all the work, but I'm happy to have been of some help.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds