BSOD-bad pool header with AOL

Discussion in 'Software' started by djdrew, Jan 19, 2011.

1. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

I get a BSOD-bad pool header when I try and open AOL program. It does not happen when I open AOL through Internet explorer or Firefox, ONLY when I try and open the program by itself. I was on another forum and stated the same thing, and got a couple of suggestions from admins. and followed them. Still the same thing. I am not all that computer literate, but I can fumble my way around. This is what I have done so far. Ran system restore. Ran a DRIVER VERIFIER, then uploaded all info to them. Uninstalled AOL with Revo, reinstalled NEW version of AOL, twice. Ran Registry Booster. reran driver verifier again. Have ran EVERY Virus scan, Malware scan, system checker i can get my hands on. Still same issue. My system runs fine in every other program/app, only AOL shuts it down. Never had this issue before until about a month ago. Could really use some advice.
    My computer: HP Laptop
    OS-Windows Vista
    about 2 1/2 years old
    86 bit
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you check for updates to your network adapter drivers, NOT from Windows Update but from the makers?

3. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

no i did not. will check now.

4. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

I have a exclamation point on my microsoft 6to4 adapter #2. tried to update the driver but it says most current driver is already installed. Also says widows cannot load driver(code 31)It says there is a problem with it but no solution offered. What do I do?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. satrow

It might be better if you uploaded your latest memory dump, I can give it a quick check for outdated drivers that were running then; open C:\Windows\Minidump and copy the latest dmp file to your Desktop, zip it and attach it to your next post, please?

6. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

it says my minidump file is empty. This morning I tried to "redo" everything I have done in the last couple of days. So I ran Reg cleaner, Regbooster, and Revo again, including clearing out all my "history". Can I make it go to the BSOD again through AOL then copy the minidump file? Will it give the info you need?

7. satrow

Sure, that's fine by me :)

Don't forget to uncheck the CCleaner entry for minidumps, you may see slightly different issues and BSOD's as you troubleshoot this.

8. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

I was just surfing and found some more info with other people that have had this same problem. One person said the fix to this is with AOL connectivity service and with ATWPK2.sys file in the system 32 driver files. Theys said they changed the the file name to .old instead of .sys and it fixed the problem. Now...i am not computer savvy and this is foriegn language to me, but does this sound like a path I should explore?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  9. djdrew

djdrew Private E-2

ok..i did not have cc cleaner running. I don't know where u are talking about unchecking the box. But I tried to open AOL and got the BSOD, then rebooted, looked at the mini dump files, and it is still empty. Again, I'm not that computer savvy...u may need to give me better directions. sorry.
    Thanks

10. satrow

Your choice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds