BSOD: Dell E6400 - Nvidia nvlddmkm.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by tsvb, Oct 18, 2010.

1. tsvb

tsvb Private E-2

Hello All,

Recently I've been getting a BSOD on my Dell E6400 running Windows 7.

Interestingly enough at 12pm EST I get a BSOD that references nvlddmkm.sys. I've tried different drivers from Nvidia but continue to have the problem almost everyday.

Here is the info on the BSOD:

Bug check code: 0x0000016
    Parameter 1: 0x8c124160
    Parameter 2: 0x9380c990
    Parameter 3: 0x00000000
    Parameter 4: 0x00000002
    Caused By Driver: nvlddmkm.sys
    Caused By Address: nvlddmkm.sys+c990
    File Description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 188.40

Any advice? Any further information that I can provide?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Tim, if you have minidumps, could you zip and attach them to your next post please?

C:\Windows\MiniDump

3. tsvb

tsvb Private E-2

Here you go. Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. satrow

There's a lot of consistency across the minidmps Tim, STOP 0x00000116 is the error they all show.

This is a problem with the graphics card; bad drivers, overheating, faulty card, poor power to the card ...

So, update the motherboard chipset drivers, uninstall the graphics card drivers, install the latest graphics card drivers. Thrash the PC and report back.

5. tsvb

tsvb Private E-2

Thank you very much for taking the time to look. Another odd thing is the last three times this has happened it has been at exactly 12:00pm EST.

I'll be updating drivers and will report back.

6. satrow

That's spookily consistent ... dunno what to make of that, maybe it'll be better from All Saint's Day onwards ;) ?

7. tsvb

tsvb Private E-2

Looks like it was my antivirus (Vipre from sunbeltsoftware) causing the bsod. I've uninstalled for now and looking into other options.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds