BSOD due to AR5211.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by scoobysnacks, Nov 29, 2007.

1. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Hi.

Have just run windows update on a friends computer and now I'm getting the blue screen of death when I boot. The machine seems to boot ok, and then after about 30 seconds it goes to the blue screen with the following message.

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequeate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, Press F8 to select advanced statup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00002854, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF6F21115)

*** ar5211.sys - Address F6F21115 base at F6EE9000, Datestamp 4608ab25

Beginning dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete.
    contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I've tried to get in through safe mode to remove the driver but it hangs on boot.

I have tried system restore but still no joy.

The machine is an Acer Aspire 5040.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get it to boot properly? The BIOS options are pretty limited.

Thanks

Scoobs

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Goran, thanks for the reply.

In truth the problem isn't dealing with the driver, I can do that, my problem is not being able to get windows to boot to allow me to do so.

In normal boot the machine crashes before everything has finished loading. If I try to boot into safe mode it hangs up whilst loading. I don't have a boot disc for this machine as it's a friends.

I've tried using system restore but that hasn't solved it either.

Am considering booting it off my Knoppix cd and going that way, but I'm reluctant as it's so easy to damage the system that way.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to boot?

Cheers.

Scoobs

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can you make setup floppies? If so, you can set the service start level for the driver to disabled so it doesnt affect booting.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is this a laptop with wireless?
    If so if it has a physical wireless on/off switch switch it off.
    If not remove the wireless card temporarily.

6. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Adrynalyne, the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. It does however have a CD rom drive. I have an old XP SP1 disc here, if I were to boot it in to the recovery console from that how would I go about disabling the driver in startup?

Studio, it is a wireless laptop, but it doesn't have a physical on/off switch. I'm kind of fighting shy of removing the covers to disconnect the wireless card if there's a software alternative as there's always the risk of damaging the internals. I'll consider that as a last resort.

Thanks

Scoobs

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Assuming that the AR5211 shows up when you type listsvc, its as simple as typing

disable AR5211

The service name likely wont include the .sys extension in the name.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Ar5211 belongs to Atheros so look for this name also.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows lists driver services according to driver name, not brand, usually.

10. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

OK, managed to disable it and sort the driver problem out, used my antique XP SP1 disc to get in through the recovery console!

Now it's all working ok, or so it seems, thanks for all the help guys and girls. :D

Scoobs

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad you are back up and going :)

12. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Off to the virus posts now to sort out the original problem. How do people manage to get so much spy/adware and virus infection on their computers? Sometimes I wish I'd not volunteered to sort it out! :S

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds