(BSOD) everytime I run Photoshop or 3ds max

Discussion in 'Software' started by Purringcat, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

My new pc has a NVidia GeForce GTX 295 card and crashes (BSOD) everytime I run Photoshop or 3ds max. Win7 has flagged the NVidia driver as the problem.
    I've tried the latest two drivers and neither fix the problem.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Was your Windows 7 install a new clean one or new PC or was it an upgrade from a previous Windows version and if an upgrade what version of Windows was it? also is this 32bit or 64bit Windows 7?

Do you get any error message text or the BSOD code that you could attach in a text file that could highlight the problem? how to attach guide

If you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) do you get the same BSOD.

What versions are Photoshop and 3Dmax and are they fully upto date?

3. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Thanks for your help

The OS, Win7 64bit, was a clean install on a new pc (velocity micro gaming pc). The BSOD error msg was NV1ddmkm.sys problem and I don't have a file with the remaining error msg. The taskbar has a flag showing the error msg
    "address a problem with NVidia graphics driver". Clicking on that flag for a solution just gets a msg that windows can't find a solution.

Photoshop CS4 64bit and 3ds max 2010 64 bit. I haven't tried running them in safe mode.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've been having the same issue with CS4, Win7 64bit, and my graphics card which is ATI, and BSODs.

Did you have this pop up at all? http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

Unfortunately, I really can't offer you any aid, but maybe that will give you some direction. It doesn't mention Win7, but I would think it applies.

5. DavidGP

Hi Purringcat

I have had no issue with CS4 and x64 Windows 7 as I running them now, with an Nvidia 8800GTS 720 card with the 191.07 driver.

So as well as looking as LauraRs link do tell us what driver your using? can find this by right click Desktop and choose Nvidia Control Panel > Help > System Information and under Details... Driver Version is the version of driver software used.

6. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

I was using driver 191.07 but did an uninstall/install and rolled back to 186.16. The comments on the internet say driver 191.07 doesn't work well with the 200 series cards. The BSOD error, nvlddmkm, led me to these suggestions:
    http://www.nvlddmkm.com/. I'm making changes, one suggestion at a time and then testing with 3ds max. Tomorrow... testing the 186.16 driver.

Thank you both for your help.

7. DavidGP

Hi

Yes do let us know how you get on, plus Nvidia now have the 195.62 driver for Windows 7 64bit released from a week ago, maybe worth a try as it could have fixed issues with the previous driver.

8. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Hi Halo

3ds max worked fine with no crashes. :cool
    I'm going to skip the latest driver unless this one starts having problems. Don't fix what's not broken - I hope.

THanks for all your help. :)

cat

9. DavidGP

Hi Cat

Cheers for the update and I agree with you in dont fix whats not broken, so hope all goes ok, if not do repost and we can try other options.

10. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Hi Halo

The 'not broke' period was very brief and it was back to BSOD time. Installed the 195.62 driver and it's worse. Can only use max for about five minutes before the screen goes black and requires a hard reboot.

Since this is a new custom pc, I'm going to put some pressure on the maker to help find a solution. So far they've been silent on this issue.

I've seen messages from other win 7/ max users similar to my problem so it's a growing issue.

Thanks again for your help

cat

11. DavidGP

Hi

What I would tend to do in instances like this is to clean out the graphics driver and then re-install the graphics driver (but do you know the model maker of the nvidia card you have?)

What I would do is to download and install Driver Sweeper (BUT do not run it yet) download the lastest driver version for your graphic card BUT dont install yet.

Use Add/Remove and unsinstall your NvidiaGraphics Driver, then reboot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and then run Driver Sweeper to remove any nVidia Drivers found.

Then if possible use the driver that the maker of the card has listed over the nVidia unified driver as at times some makers do adjust the specs of cards and their drivers work better.

If you dont know or easily find out the cards maker then run the below

12. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Hi Halo

Got a bit distracted yesterday by our 15" of snow.

Ran DriverSweep and installed the NVidia 195.62 drivers again. I'm not computer savy but it looks to me like the manufacturer is NVidia. The monitor is using generic PnP drivers because Photoshop doesn't like Samsung drivers.

Tried to use 3ds max after installing the drivers again and within five minutes the screen went black and the pc froze.

Really like Everest though. It's far more informative than dxdiag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. DavidGP

Hi Cat

Sorry my fault, though the main report gives you a model of card, it does but is likely burried in this location in Everest, so all I would need is the name in this location,

Open Everest and click Display > then GPU and hopefully you will see whats in mine below and just need the info next to Video Adapter (highlighted in blue)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Hi Halo

The GPU area of Everest is blank. I'm getting a message that the Everest Kernel Driver is not digitally signed and won't run properly. The video card has EVGA stamped on it.

15. DavidGP

16. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

Hi

It's not a pain believe me and I appreciate the effort you're making on my behalf.

That said, I did the uninstall, clean, and install of your new driver. Have run both 3ds max and photoshop with no problems. It's the first time photoshop has booted without messages about driver/pc faults. I'll run both programs more tomorrow but things look good so far.

Thank you VERY much.

17. DavidGP

Well fingers and toes X'd Cat, that this is the fix.

18. Purringcat

Purringcat Private E-2

:) Ran 3ds max, photoshop and adobe bridge simultaneously with no problems. Used max for four straight hours ... no crash.

Thank you very much for all your help. Not only does it seem to be fixed, I've learned a great deal about drivers and nifty utilities like Everest and DriverSweeper. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds