BSOD - inconsistent

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Toshiba laptop with WinXP SP2. This PC belongs to a lady in real estate and she uses an online postcard making site that is tied in with both Print Shop and Prudential. She builds postcards using pictures of properties and the info about the property (like price, acreage, etc). The postcards can then be printed or posted to any number of real estate sites. The problem she's having is that sometimes in mid-postcard-build, the PC will BSOD and reboot. It happens at different points during the building process, and doesn't happen with every build, maybe 25% to 50% of the time (it varies). But today, it crashed every time she tried to build a postcard, but always in different places during the build process. This BSOD only happens with postcard building and does not happen with anything else, anywhere, ever. She didn't know the BSOD number, and we couldn't replicate a crash with me present to see it. I looked through the event viewer and posted a screen shot below of an error that occured numerous times today. I spoke with the PC owner and she confirmed the times are when she was working on the web site (it's called xpressdocs dot com). So, anyone have any ideas? There was NOTHING at the MS Knowledge Base.....

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Two possible reasons spring to mind.

Firstly if a program tries to access restricted memory a BSOD can occur.
    Does your friend have know any other agents in the bsuiness with the same software and problem? If so the program is likely to be making 'illegal' calls.

If the problem is restricted to one pc it could be a 'mutex' issue that arrises because of the particular installation history of that machine.

When a program is installed it installs new dll files. Sometimes these have the same name as dll files installed by other programs or even windows itself. Sometimes a poor installation actually overwrites existing dll files. When the program calls its dll it expects a certain dll and windows is supposed to raise a mutal exclusion (mutex) to prevent the program getting the wrong one. If this does not happen and the wrong dll is supplied a BSOD occurs.
    You will need to do some research on mutex and your program if this is happening.

Good hunting.

Edit - hope Tim's fix , posted while I was typing, is better.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks Tim, but that stuff is for Win2k and Win2k3 but I'll look into it and try to apply it to XP... this is a wierd problem.... if it was consistent or at least happened while trying to run the same task each time, it would be easier to pinpoint.... :banghead

EDIT- Thanks studiot. You were typing while I was typing this reply. I have heard a little about mutex problems but all I know about 'em is what you just typed above. I'll have to research this some more. The PC owner is surfing with IE6 and never has this problem unless she's doint the postcard thing, and then only sometimes.....

Thanks again guys....

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sometimes it's the right dll, just the wrong version.

This used to happen a lot with ATI graphics cards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds