BSOD - ntoskrnl.exe - driver power state failure?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pc_stress, Feb 7, 2013.

1. pc_stress

pc_stress Private E-2

I bought a new Asus all in one PC about a month and a half ago. Just recently I had 2 BSOD's in this week. Never had any problems otherwise.

What happens is at night when I go to bed, I'll let a youtube video play to help me fall asleep. So I'll sometimes set the PC to go to sleep after about an hour or sometimes I just leave it at never. So on 2/4/13 when I wake up the PC is turned off!

When I turn it back on it asks which mode I want to boot in. I choose normal. Once booted, it tells me Windows recovered from a serious something. I click on check for solutions online, but it finds nothing and the notice just dissappears.

Now just this morning 2/7/13 it happened again! I am looking at the dmp files in bluescreenview. The dates are supposed to be different, but it shows as 2/7/13 for both. I took the files from the culprit PC and brought it to this one I'm typing on.

What steps should I take?

Attached Files:

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Head over to your Control Panel > System & Security > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings

Look under "Hard Disk", and set both categories to "Never".

Usually works, and stops the PC from initiating an improper shutdown.

:cool

3. pc_stress

pc_stress Private E-2

I'm not able to check right now, but I'm pretty sure I have the hard drive at NEVER as well. Say it is set at NEVER, what next?

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

That should do the trick.

If not, you may want to stop it from sleeping, or hibernating as well.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

According to the image you provided the problem is caused by a driver issue when the machine attempts to change a power setting or power level.

Please look through the power options and report back everything that is set to drop a power level or be disabled by a power change.

Please also go to your computer manufacturer's website and check if there are any driver updates for your computer, specifically for the chipset. If there are please update.

6. pc_stress

pc_stress Private E-2

I'm sorry, I don't understand the bold part?

Also am I looking for a BIOS update?

7. pc_stress

pc_stress Private E-2

As I thought, the HDD was set to NEVER. However, under Advanced options > Sleep > Sleep After > Allow hybrid sleep was set to ON. I just turned it off. I don't know if that would make a difference?

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry, I should have phrased that better.

I was asking you to post anything in the power options that is not set to "never sleep" or "maximum performance".

Updates-wise, I was just asking for you to check for new drivers for the motherboard, not BIOS updates.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds