BSOD on new drive/old laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by dyamond, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Link to old thread for same laptop but different hard drive. I don't know it if the problems are related.

I swear this laptop must be cursed or something. :-D It's been about a month with this new drive and I got home from work and booted up the PC. I was greeted with the all too familiar:

Error 0271 check date and time settings.

Warning 0251 system cmos checksum bad default configuration used.

F1 to continue, F2 to enter set up.

I entered set up and the date was set to 8/20/2009 00:00:45. I corrected the date and time and hit save and exit. Upon that I was hit with a BSOD, but I caught the stop code this time; STOP: 0x000000C5.

I read that it has to do with a device driver for new hardware/software. Well the new drive is a month old and I installed a program, that I won from here, about a week ago, so why the STOP code now or could it be related to something else?

Windows informed me that it had some updates to install so I let it and when it was done it rebooted the laptop. I did not get either the error or the BSOD like last time but now I don't know. Is this something I should be worried about? is there a way I can check to see if a device driver is "bad"? This laptop is getting to be the bain of my existence. rolleyes

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Just curious, did you try and replace the battery?
    Reset the CMOS?

3. dyamond

Not recently, no but I did with my last batch of problems (a month ago).

4. Major Attitude

Sorry. Should be ok plus battery failure is pretty rare.

Honestly not reading through the entire previous thread what I would do is pull the CMOS battery and laptop battery for 5 or 10 minutes then plug em back in and reset the date.

From there I would either rest the cmos or update it.

5. dyamond

Basically, in my previous post, it came down to the drive died due to a (known by Seagate) flaw with the drive itself.

I will try pulling and resetting the batteries as you suggested. To reset or update the CMOS, is that something I do in BIOS or something I download from the manufacturer's (in this case Dell's) website?

6. Major Attitude

I am assuming this is different so that's how I am approaching it. Your other post mentioned BSOD but this is a specific CMOS error.

Laptops will usually reset the CMOS by removing the laptop battery and CMOS battery for a bit. On a desktop, a jumper is available to essentially short it out. When you start up and go to the date in the bios it should read whenever the laptop was made if it worked.

To update the bios you need to go to the Dell site and see if one is available and usually its a good idea to see if there is a known problem the bios update addresses. The general rule on bios is if it ain't broke, don't fix it so don't bother unless one of the bios updates lists something that could be related to your problem. Honestly, I haven't updated a BIOS is at least 5 or 6 years.

7. dyamond

You're probably right. I just brought it up because I wasn't sure if it would be relevant considering I got the same message when troubleshooting my last problem. You guys know so much more than I do!

So since this error code is a CMOS error, it doesn't have anything to do with drivers? I read that somewhere, though honestly, I didn't really understand it. Sorry, I'm feeling a little daft here. :-D

Thanks for your help, I will try your suggestions. :)

8. Major Attitude

No way. This is a specific error:

"Error 0271 check date and time settings. Warning 0251 system cmos checksum bad default configuration used."

Computer boots and CMOS is the first thing it sees and it didn't get the date and time. So the problem is there. That's why I suggest a clear, then check Dell to see what updates they have for it. Odds are you can bypass, boot and run fine.

It looks like a watch battery. Replacing it might be the answer.

9. dyamond

Oh! ok. I will definitely do this but in my previous post, I was talking about the BSOD error, I read that error 5C was related to either a hardware or software "bad" driver. I wasn't sure what that really meant.

10. Major Attitude

I want to fix the first error and drivers later. Can you check the Dell website for BIOS firmware updates and see what's there? There were some issues with BIOS and video display so your video card and bios can be related.

11. dyamond

Ok, that took forever their website is sooo slow! I checked and there is only one recommended file to download, for my specific service tag, which was related to my wireless card. However, they had 35 files for my specific model, which included one for BIOS but since it wasn't picked up by my service tag, does that mean I already have it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds