BSOD on shutdown/restart XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by housailorr, May 17, 2012.

1. housailorr

housailorr Private E-2

About 2 months ago I was battling a rootkit infection. During aggressive removal attempts I noticed that rebooting resulted in BSOD with one of three error codes.

Upon final removal process (on Malware forum) I thought the BSOD issue was also resolved, but it resurfaced a few days later. Any thoughts on where to go to fix this?

3 error codes show up at seemingly random times. Here is what is shown on the screens:

1. Driver Corrupted_MMPool
    Stop 0x000000D0 (0x1cccc783, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8054A116)

2. Page Fault_In nonPaged Area
    Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE7D17000, 0X00000000, 0X804D9A69, 0X00000001)

3. Bad_POOL_HEADER
    Stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x873012c8, 0x87301348, 0x0A100001)

Thanks.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm reasonably confident that a bad driver is at fault with at least 2 of the 3 BSOD's, if you can copy the latest (3-5) minidumps to your Desktop, zip and attach them here, I'll try to debug them. They're located at C:\Windows\Minidump\ usually.

3. housailorr

housailorr Private E-2

Satrow,

I have not been able to get a minidump file. Is there any other way to identify the culprit?

4. satrow

Hmm, we can try DriverView, run it, hide Microsoft/Windows drivers, set the columns to only show like the image in Post #10 here and attach a screenshot please.

5. housailorr

housailorr Private E-2

I have attached the DriverView screen capture.

I notice one driver added the same day as the problem resolution on 3/28/2012: EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys. Sounds ominous.

Attached Files:

6. satrow

Good call, it's from Symantec too - one of the first things that sets off alarm bells for me when troubleshooting. Uninstall all Symantec/Norton products, use their uninstaller to ensure it's fully removed.

Enable the built-in Windows firewall and install Avast! <--- download this before removing Norton.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds