BSOD on startup, possible failed HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeneralGeek, Nov 22, 2013.

1. GeneralGeek

GeneralGeek Private E-2

Today I restarted my PC with the restart button because I'd knocked the mouse and keyboard overnight while sleeping so they weren't responding.

Upon restart I got a BSOD post-bios with error: C0000218 referring to the registry. I can enter bios, boot in safe mode or last good settings and still get the BSOD and which auto restarts after about 3 seconds. Checkdisk will sometimes try to run and it gets to about 40% before BSOD, or immediate BSOD if I skip it. My backup/boot disk for windows vista says it is not compatible with windows vista installed on the HD.

What I have done now is ran off my backup/storage HD which was my old HD, (so my new HD was an image of this drive). This has booted fine despite being so old it still loaded up MSN messenger. It allowed me to access all of the corrupted HD so in the meantime I've backed up all my files to an external HD as I haven't done so for about a month.

The HD is a WD caviar green 750gb and has been fine since I got it approximately 18 months ago. Is it dead or is there a way I can fix it manually from my working HD?

Any help appreciated!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since you were able to recover all of your files to the original hard drive, try running chkdsk /f /r on the drive in question and see what it says. I have read that the WD Green drives have had problems with dependability. Try getting either a WD Blue or WD Black series. WD Blacks have a five year warranty, WD Blues have a three year warranty.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

So there's a fair chance that the drive, and most of the data is intact. Troubleshooting the cause and finding a fix could be a lot more tricky than loading Windows on another drive and wiping this drive, followed by a full format and then a checkdsk /r.

With luck, it'll be some 'soft' error or a bad/corrupt driver and the drive will be usable once more.

4. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

try removing all USB devices and restarting your computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds