bsod on startup, possibly comodo?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Drago3711, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Drago3711

Drago3711 Private E-2

Ok, I use XP (sp3), and recently I found a few viruses running around my computer, (with malwarebytes), and I decided that it would probably be a good idea to upgrade my firewall since I had to date been using the standard windows defender. My college requires that I use Mcafee corporate, but I'm not really the biggest fan...anyway, I had heard great things about Comodo Internet Security, so i figured it was about time i upgraded my security. After installing the first time i started to get the BSOD, i assumed it was comodo since its what was what I had just added, but i couldn't uninstall it because it did not show up in add/remove or in the start menu. After looking over their forum it recommended I reinstall in safe mode and then uninstall. This worked just fine. Except now everytime I start in windows it proceeds to BSOD after a few moments of loading the startup programs. It boots fine into safe mode, but i cant use it like normal because it will just BSOD during startup.

After looking on this forum I found the instructions on how to analyze a minidump, but its pointing to an issue with ntkrpamp.exe and i'm really just guessing at how to analyze the whole thing.

I'm not really sure how to proceed, any help you guys(and/or gals) can give would be greatly apreciated. ((if you need more info, I can definately give it, i'm just not sure what you need))

thanks in advance :]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could you post the BSOD code you get on screen exactly as written, dont miss anything out.

Create System Restore point manually, so you can revert back.

What antivirus software do or did you have installed before installing CIS as its not only firewall but Antivirus too, know you have removed Comodo at this point but if you had another one its worth uninstalling that one too and then rebooting and if no BSOD then re-install AV and a Firewall (but only one of either)

Comodo is famed for leaving traces when uninstalled so try these to see if they pick any references to comodo up http://www.appremover.com/ (this one I trialed a week or so ago, worked fine although note its beta still so may not work for all) or http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html

Comodo manual uninstall of Firewall

Other option is that are you 100% sure the malware is gone as this could be causing you this issue.... maybe worth running this READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide guide and seeing what it may pick up, if it picks up any malware then start a new thread in Malware Forum.

But post BSOD code and try the other steps in order first before running the Read Me as it may hold a clue.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

In safe mode:right click My Computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery>and uncheck"automaticaly restart,and you will see the bsod code.

4. Drago3711

Drago3711 Private E-2

ok, so the exact error code is as follows :

"*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xACF9E21D, 0XA9E497E8, 0x000000000)"

as for anti-virus, I had McAfee, Malwarebytes installed when i attempted to get comodo.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

0x0000008E is almost always a hardware problem. Did you change your hardware recently? If you did, reverse the changes and see if the problem goes away.

Also, memtest. Burn the ISO as an image, boot from the CD, and let it run for eight passes or so.

6. Drago3711

Drago3711 Private E-2

well, i haven't changed any hardware, however I'm fairly sure I have a partially damaged graphics card, but my system was running fine until i attempted to install comodo, and i don't see how that could have caused hardware damage...besides, running in safe mode narrows it down to drivers doesn't it? ((i'm not sure))

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds