BSOD on XP startup - Service pack?

Discussion in 'Software' started by garym2631, Nov 26, 2009.

1. garym2631

garym2631 Private E-2

Hi,

I get the BSOD with the following mesage each time I try to startup:

Stop: C000021A (Fatal System Error)

The windows logon process system process terminated unsuccessfully with a status of oxcooooo34 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

--

This is a Dell desktop running windows XP. 1.2 MB of memory. P4 2.4.

Two possibly important things were happening when I last successfully was in Windows:

1) A new service pack was installed, and I needed to restart to finish installation. (SP4)

2) McAfee told me numerous times that a trojan had been detected and removed.

I read the tacked post about BSOD but cannot progress far enough to try anything.

Suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi Gary, ther is no SP4 for XP i don't know what you have downloaded but it was most likely some form of malware.

Do you have an XP install disc?

Do you have your data on the affected computer backed up?

Also you say you have "1.2 MB" of memory..... that can't be right!

Q

3. garym2631

garym2631 Private E-2

Sorry, meant 1.2 GB of memory.

I do have the original XP disc, still sealed. I have nothing backed up.

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Can you boot into safemode? {tap F8 as you boot up]

How much data is ther to back up?

Can you connect the HDD to the PC your on now, or do you have an external HDD or USB stick to connect to the affected PC?

If you cant connect it to the PC your on now you are gouing to have to Burn and boot a LiveCD Such as Damnsmalllinux http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html (it's only a 50MB download)

However if oyu already have an ubuntu or any other linux liveCD you can use that instead.

You have to burn DamnSmallLinux as an .ISO image file NOT just as a normal data disc!

You may be able to fix this with a repair install and keep our data, but you should back up just incase it goes pear shaped.

Q

5. garym2631

garym2631 Private E-2

I get the BSOD and same error message when trying to boot in safe mode. After selecting safe mode and the OS, the screen lists many files, but then stops and dumps.

I can't connect to this computer, so will have to create a LiveCD.

6. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds