BSOD - Re-Install? New Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeyAnyc, Sep 2, 2006.

1. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

I know there are many posts regarding this. After reading through some of them, it seems like each case is different. So below is my error code.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

**** Stop: 0X000000ED (0X80A6D9E0, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Here's the deal, the computer is from 1998. It was running a version of Windows XP Pro that was installed by an old roommate. There's NOTHING on the computer that I need. So, I was considering to just re-format the harddrive. However, I only have disc and codes for Windows 95 (the disc is the original that came with the computer package). I can also just replace the hard drive, I wouldn't mind doing being that it's 8 years old.

The thing is, I've learned theres different types of hard drives - plus, when I hook it up, it's the "what to do next" part I'm not sure of. I did a search on this forum. If I should replace the hard drive, can someone direct me to the "how to" thread that would pertain to me.

I want to thank everyone in advance who responds. I'm not a very techie person. But I get by. Thank you for your patience and help.

Joey :confused:

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If you replace the hard drive you still need a copy of windows, i personaly wouldnt mess with 95. ed

3. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Hey Ed - thanks for your response.

I do have Windows 95 disc. It's the only one I can the Key for. So being that this is just a spare computer (not my main one), I don't want to go out and spend money on a new OS, especially being so old.

Will new hard drives work with 95?

Thanks again

Joey

4. Omnipotent_idiot

Omnipotent_idiot Private E-2

5. Omnipotent_idiot

then again,you could just go with linux,problem solved.

6. JoeyAnyc

JoeyAnyc Private E-2

Omni, Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, I have NO idea what any of that means. Maybe I'll just ditch the computer and buy a new one. I was hoping there was a simple way of doing it - well, simple as in something I can understand.

Thanks for your help.

Joey

7. Omnipotent_idiot

if your gonna throw it out,i'll take it:D .I can make a linux box out of it for my son.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

9. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

The real limitation Win95 (and Win98, Win98se) would have with a new drive is drive size. I don't know what the limit 95 has, but new drives have exploded in their sizes, which can cause problems with older OS's. You can partition a new drive and waste a lot of the potential data storage, but this is something I wouldn't want to do.

It TimW post works it would be the best solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds