BSOD re: nv4_mini.sys on reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by barkeep68, May 28, 2012.

1. barkeep68

barkeep68 Private E-2

Attempting to do a non-destructive, no reformat re-install of XP. Used the instructions from the follwing link:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/189400897?pgno=1

I received a new re-installation CD from Dell and when the system began to reboot after copying the system files the BSOD came up with the following message
    "The problem seems to be cause by the following file: nv4_mini.sys
    DRIVE_UNLOADED-WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS"
    Technical info: STOP: 0x000000ce (0xB73ce410, 000000008, 0xB73ce410, 0x00000000)

I tried to restart in safe mode but it stated that I could not complete set up in safe mode.

I have a Dell dimension E510 running XP

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, not a BSOD I'm familiar with. Does the same thing happen after deleting the partitions and running a full format on the new one(s)?

From the info in the MSDN library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560226(v=VS.85).aspx it reads like the driver didn't unload something that later tried to reference it: Parameter 1 and 3 are the same.

I need to sleep on that one.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You tried a Repair install; is that correct?

Did you start the Repair install from within Windows, or did you boot from the Dell CD?

4. barkeep68

barkeep68 Private E-2

Did not attempt to delete partitions and it is not a full re-install, it's a repair install. The instructions that I followed directed to boot from the cd and then chose to repair the installed XP version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds