BSOD - STOP 0x000000022 error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wristie, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Wristie

Wristie Private E-2

When powering up a laptop a friend loaned me, it begins to load Windows XP, but then I get a BSOD that gives me a stop error of type 0x000000022. The friend has no recovery disc, and either doesn't know where the original windows discs are or never got any.

I've jumped thru multiple hoops trying to create an XP boot disc for myself, and done nothing bust waste several CDs and hours of time trying to get it to work. The closest I got was making an ISO disc out of my I386 directory which starts to work, but then asks me to insert another disc containing the SP1 service pack. I did that, but it doesn't like the SP1 version I am using for some reason.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? As of now the PC cannot be booted in windows at all, so I can't run chkdsk or anything like that - I can't even get to a dos prompt to try and run it myself. (And that includes using a third party freeware tool I found that is a DOS for NTFS reader. It reads it fine of course, but I can't interact with the c:\ drive to try and run chkdsk.)

Do I just need to reinstall windows xp? If so, how do I go about that without the original discs (the windows license IS on the bottom of the laptop, btw)? and if I do, will that essentially wipe out their data?

Any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
    --Wristie

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A stop 22 error is not shown often. I found this
    Then a few other sites copy from another source and say it is a generic file system problem. Searching around MSDN led me here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms818901.aspx
    and the only explanation, which doesn't mention XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds