BSoD: Stop 0x0000007B new motherboard

Discussion in 'Software' started by iambinary, Mar 16, 2009.

1. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

So I finally got a new motherboard to boot, but I'm getting a Stop 0x0000007B error.

I resetted the hard drive, and even when I enter "Safe Mode," the same error appears. Oh, this is for WinXp and the IDE hard drive worked fine on the old motherboard until that motherboard died.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Are you trying to reinstall the OS or are you trying to boot an existing install of the OS on a new motherboard?

3. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

It's an existing install of WinXp - everything is on that hard drive.

4. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

The problem is likely a chipset driver mismatch, but I can't enter the OS to change/update drivers.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think it is a matter of the XP installation having been created on different hardware it cannot/will not run on the new motherboard/CPU. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316401

A fresh install is probably the easiest way but someone may have a work around.

If you don't have another HD perhaps you could adjust partitions enough to free up 20gbs on the old HD to do a new install of XP.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's bad drivers. The original motherboard drivers are incompatible with your new motherboard. You could try a repair install to see if it fixes your problem. Plug your old hard drive into another PC and copy all the files you want to keep first. If that doesn't work, a clean re-installation will fix it. Alternatively, you can wait to see if someone else knows how to fix your driver problem in another manner.

7. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

What could have been done to prevent this?

i'll try "plug in old hard drive.. copy all the files.. clean re-installation" but i may get the same incompatiblity issue, and i probably will.

What could have been done to prevent this?

8. sach2

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, I don't think you could have done anything. XP stores info about the hardware when it is installed and expects the same hardware each time it boots.

If I took the HD with XP installed out of a Toshiba notebook and put it in a Dell desktop then XP would "say" I know how to run on a Toshiba notebook but what is this hardware?

Booting the XP CD on the computer with the new motherboard and installing will let XP analyze the hardware and copy the correct drivers off the CD and store them for later use. You should be fine.

9. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

When attempting to swtich hard drives to copy files, I got the same incompatiblity issue. So instead I booted up from the Xp CD, and after attempting to install (first option) or recover(second option), the CD says that it cannot find any "hard disk drives installed.." I made sure the HD was connected, and the same thing happens, so I find this odd. The HD is connected with the same cable as the the CD drive.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

OK, so I set the CD drive to slave, and now it detects the hard drive.

11. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

There are 8mb of unpartioned space. The only options the windows setup screens shows is deleting the old one, or creating one out of 8mb.

.... neither of them are favorable.

12. sach2

There aren't a lot of good options if you don't have a HD with space for both a fresh install of XP and room to copy your data files from your old HD. A couple of workarounds would require a lot of moving around of files.

I think in another thread you said you have another computer that you were able to slave your old HD to. Do you have enough space on the other computer to temporarily copy data(music, vid documents) from your old HD. Then format the old HD, install XP and reslave the drive and copy data back?

What about your friends HD? How big is that one? Could you install XP on that then slave your old HD then temporarily copy files from your HD to your friends. Format your old one and install XP and copy your files back from your friend's HD.

How big is your old HD and is it pretty much full of data or did you have a lot of free space on the partition?

I've never done an in place upgrade http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/ but they also warn about backing up data files as a precaution.

Did you see this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=184825?

13. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Try this before going further either hard/software wise..
    Put all cables/jumpers back in the original configuration.
    DVD/cd drive should be secondary master/slave..or channel 2 on mobo
    HDD should be primary master/slave or channel 1on mobo (set by pin configuration or with no pins cable select)

Make sure that both hard drives are on the same ide cable --do not mix hd and optical,cd,dvd drives if you can help it.
    Download or use a copy/distro of Linux ( I use the Knoppix live cd)
    Set pc to boot from cd first
    boot into knoppix desktop-it will ask a few configuration ? upon reboot , this is completly run off the cd no install to the hard drive
    click open hardrive icon on desktop
    upon opening in its file browser you will be able to copy all your files to another drive:usb,stc...

This will not install software ONLY your personal files and data.
    you can copy the whole drive but the programs and the windows installation will not work

Then proced with the repair install mentioned above by Just Playin

14. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

"do not mix hd and optical,cd,dvd drives" - this mobo only has one IDE cable/channel

"boot from live cd" - will ubuntu be fine? it seems simpler to do

"proced with the repair install" - won't a clean install be better after the files are copied?
    From one of the links above (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=184825?):
    "This is why many choose a fresh install, to ensure no conflicts - but also to ensure the drive and registry is not cluttered with junk from the old board."

15. iambinary

iambinary Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds