BSOD while flashing BIOS - DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mikey242, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Mikey242

Mikey242 Private E-2

Hey guys,

I was updating the bios of my motherboard when I got a BSOD. Of course now when I turn it on nothing happens. Is there a way to re-flash the bios now? Thanks.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Did you keep a backup of the old Bios.

3. Mikey242

Mikey242 Private E-2

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Did you update from a floppy, or, download,like @Bios?
    The usual instructions, are not to shut down the system if it fails, and retry immediately.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If retry, will not work,
    The instructions you are looking at are to clear cmos, and are a further step to recovery.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The link you have gives you more
    Mikey242 Yes I did. I am currently looking at a possible solution from the DIY Street forums:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/show...4&postcount=24

But ,The normal clear cmos setting should get you out of trouble -
    Switch of computer, remove power plug (as modern computers still carry current.) lift off the jumper from the current setting, as seen in your manual, and visually,and noting where they are as default (scribble ) , then, say they are on the first and second pins, place the jumper on the 2nd, and third pins, for about half a minute, then put back on the original default pins.
    Obviously reconnect, and plug back in.
    When restarting, press del, or, f2, whichever you normally press to get into the Bios.:) :)

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When in Bios, before starting Windows, load failsafe defaults, for most likely recovery, and run system, in Windows, before improving any settings you want.

9. Mikey242

Mikey242 Private E-2

Thanks for your help baklogic. I have not had the chance to try what you have said yet but I will once I get the chance. I flashed bios within windows and all seemed to go fine (no errors). It told me to restart and when I did the screen was completely blank, I get no picture at all. I removed all hardware except for RAM, CPU and videocard (even tried a packup PCI video card), still nothing. Will the recovery methods shown in that link work even if I get no POST?

Thanks again

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

:)
    The warning you always get when flashing Bios, should give you a clue.Unless you need to update for program/cpu or other reasons - it is always a risk- again, I only ever lost one Motherboard, in the early days.
    Windows updated Bios is usually pretty good, the only problems that I found was antivirus software.- poor download connection (noise on the line - not that you can hear, but poor telephone gain - When I move I always ask telephone company to increase gain on my line, and it helps.)
    Basically, if you cannot get post, the Bios update appears to have been unsuccessful, and you need to take the steps to clear it, and then restart.
    99 times out of 100 , I have seen it to work. Nothing is guaranteed.
    You have all the information on how to,- that link you got was pretty good.
    Good luck - what have you got to lose - at the moment it is d....

11. Mikey242

Mikey242 Private E-2

Thanks baklogic I will try out what you have suggested and report back on how it went.

Thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds