BSOD while playing games - need help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by arronax, May 16, 2008.

1. arronax

arronax Private E-2

Hello there!

First of all, I want to tell you that I'm really fascinated with the knowledge accumulated @ this site, there are some reeeeeeeeealllly valuable and precious guides, help topics and various useful stuff to be found here. Congratulations on running such a great site!

Now, I'll get to the point. The thing is that my laptop has started to crash to BSOD too often and out of nowhere. It happens only while I'm playing TM forever (TrackMania), though it happened while playing IL-2 Sturmovik few months ago and I never played it again after that. Every other game seems to be running without a single problem... My laptop specifications are :

Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.0 GHz
    2 GB 667 MHz Ram
    Intel Chipset : Intel GMA X3100
    250 GB SATA HDD : WesternDigital

I wouldn't be so irritated or kind of confused if it was just on this laptop. I already had one Fujitsu Siemens laptop, half a year ago, and it was also using an integrated graphics card, ATI Radeon X1100 , with 256 MB shared memory. Many games caused BSOD on that laptop, including some programs and even N64 emulators. That laptop (that used Turion x2 processor and had 1GB RAM with 120 GB HDD) was generally overheating too often, but I made some improvisations and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the heat that was causing the problem, especially because right now I'm using the same OS that I used on that one.. And the very same Windows installation CD that came with it.

So, what I'm guessing is that maybe XP Home Edition has some strange mistake that's causing integrated graphics to malfunction!? I'm not sure if that's true, because I have no evidence...It could just be a coincidence... Still, I wanted to investigate a little bit, and then I installed SP3 on this new laptop. And just when I thought that all my problems were solved, since all the updates and stuff were installed, it happened again, just an hour ago. That's when I decided to google it even further, and that's how I got here on this site. I saw your guide about using the minidump file, and I downloaded the WinDbg program. I got the results and I really can't understand much.. The only thing that I understand is that some "thing" :-D called "igxpmp32.sys" is causing the problem... I'll copy the results of WinDbg here, so you could see them.

Bugcheck Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {80000004, 806ecae1, ba247620, 0}

Unable to load image igxpmp32.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igxpmp32.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igxpmp32.sys
    Probably caused by : pci.sys ( pci!PciReadWriteConfigSpace+38 )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
    * Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
    This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
    the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
    as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
    Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard
    coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
    /NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
    hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
    If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
    system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is
    happening.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 80000004, The exception code that was not handled
    Arg2: 806ecae1, The address that the exception occurred at
    Arg3: ba247620, Trap Frame
    Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x80000004 (2147483652) - No such interface supported

FAULTING_IP:
    hal!WRITE_PORT_ULONG+9
    806ecae1 c20800 ret 8

TRAP_FRAME: ba247620 -- (.trap 0xffffffffba247620)
    ErrCode = 00000000
    eax=80001090 ebx=00000090 ecx=00000090 edx=00000cf8 esi=806f1420 edi=ba24771c
    eip=806ecae1 esp=ba247694 ebp=ba2476a4 iopl=0 nv up ei ng nz na pe nc
    cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00000286
    hal!WRITE_PORT_ULONG+0x9:
    806ecae1 c20800 ret 8
    Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 2

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: TmForever.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 806ea153 to 806ecae1

And there's a stack text after that (I won't post it here, since it's huge). After the stack text, this comes:

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    pci!PciReadWriteConfigSpace+38
    b9e2aae0 3b4518 cmp eax,dword ptr [ebp+18h]

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 5

SYMBOL_NAME: pci!PciReadWriteConfigSpace+38

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: pci

IMAGE_NAME: pci.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 480252bb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_pci!PciReadWriteConfigSpace+38

BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_pci!PciReadWriteConfigSpace+38

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

If anyone has time to read this post, I would appreciate it a lot. I'm really in need of help, because I can't do my music live act either, since this is the laptop that I use for my live performance. Thank you very much for your help, and stay the best!!!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Read this: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic77025.html Especially the 2nd post by CCT. It has a couple of links that may help, but it's the main body of the post that says the most. Maybe 30 or 40 words that pretty much sum it up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds