BSOD win wont load - safe mode only

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandi_sully, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

last night my pc shut down unexpectedly upon reboot got BSOD now pc will only start in safe mode. Ran Norton internet security and left it overnight, this morn pc frozen halfway thru scan and it only had detected 8 tracking cookies. Reboot safe mode try to run super anti spyware - BSOD. I have read and usually follow directions on your site but cannot even run the first program.
    Not sure what info you need:
    Sony viao laptop
    Windows 7

need help please!
    Sandi

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, sandi_sully.

A few quick background questions:

What was the information given by the blue screen? Does the machine crash while in Safe Mode with no applications running?

Are all fans clean and running? Can you access your BIOS setup program, and if so, are there any temperature indications?

3. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

not sure exactly what BSOD says - will recreate now.. I got a hijack this log (couldn't do it before - kept crashing) Haven't tried the BIOS thing yet but pc 'appears' to be running ok, can hear the fans so do not thing heat is a prob.

Attached Files:

4. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

Try booting with the recovery disc or the installation dvd. When the install menu appears select Repair your computer then try the Startup Repair option first after that use the Command Prompt option and enter bootrec.exe /FixMbr, after it completes then use this command bootrec.exe /FixBoot . Good luck

5. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

took me 4 reboots to get back. BSOD disappears quickly but here is what I can get:
    One BSOD says: technical info - a lot of zero's etc then storport.sys
    other BSOD says at the top: IRQL_not_or_less_equal.
    Also BIOS does not have any 'heat' or 'temp' info - it is just very basic.
    I do not have a cd or dvd that came with the pc. Am getting scared when I shut down cause it takes 3 to 4 starts again.
    Totally pissed that stupid ppl make stupid viruses for the unknowing its just a pain in the arse.

6. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

ran restore point for 3/25/2011 now boots to safe mode but nothing to click on. ie; no start button. .... keep this up and will need to know how to glue a smashed laptop back together....

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Sandi,

Can you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager? If you do get Taskman up, File > New and type in explorer then hit enter.

8. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

after many reboots system gave me the option to run sys repair, did this it said couldn't repair. after many more reboots finally got into safe mode w/networking. Not sure what to do now?????

9. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

try to run SAS and SAS portable, both will open but when I click scan...BSOD am running malwarebytes right now seems to be going ok, was concerned BSOD when executing programs but seems to be only SAS. Will start norton internet security after malware finishes. I know this is not the right order I just wanted to see of Mal would run.

10. satrow

Hmm, download Autoruns, run it and wait for it to finish scanning, save the data (click the blue floppy icon) as the default *.arn file then zip the file and attach the .zip to your reply, I'll try to work out what's happening.

EDIT: Don't try to scan with anything yet except Autoruns - it might be a data loss/corruption issue rather than malware.

11. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

thank you satrow, file attached.

Attached Files:

12. satrow

While I'm going through this, can you save a new one - but this time, go to Options and uncheck everything except verify code signatures and click the refresh button, wait for it to rescan then save, zip, upload. Thanks.

13. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

new file attached

Attached Files:

14. satrow

Strange, I expected the second *.arn file to be larger than the first.

While I puzzle over this problem further, can you look in the Windows > Minidumps directory and, if there are any *.dmp files there, copy the latest one to the Desktop, zip and attach it, please?

15. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

Attached Files:

16. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

after some investigation around the house... I have been told that 'we' were downloading a movie from axxomovies.org - yes Axxo lives on (fake).
    This may help to find the source of the problem.... very disappointed.

17. satrow

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that site but I can guess some possible consequences of using it. I've been puzzling over your BSOD's, maybe a malware infection is the reason.

Read and run me first, read the instructions carefully, complete what you can and log any errors, create a new topic in the Malware section and attach your logs there, please.

18. satrow

Sandi,

I've been following your malware thread, if you can get the computer running in Safe Mode with networking, email me @yahoo.co.uk and we could try to diagnose the problem remotely, if that's ok with you.

19. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

I have been using my old lap top to d/l the boot discs etc... I am now having no success at booting the sick one at all. I will keep trying and email you if and when it boots.
    Thank you so much for all of your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds