BSOD XP No Disc to do recovery console

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sherris, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Sherris

Sherris Private E-2

My Sisters laptop has XP PRO.
    It was freezing up and having issues, Rebooted into Safe Mode
    her antivirus would not work, so I tired to down load one from a disk
    it stopped and I canceled it because it would not load, when I rebooted it
    I got the BSOD Drivers IRQ More or less error.
    Since then I tried the following in safe mode , I can boot to safe mode.
    Last known config
    System Restore
    Chkdsk
    chkdsk /r

I think something like a registry error may have happened but I don't know if it is safe or if I can do a registry repair in Safe mode.

We do not have an XP Pro disc for this computer, she got it from her old school and has no access to the disc now, as it was preloaded.
    She did get a Vista Basic CD, but really doesn't want that loaded.
    I have no way to get to recovery console with out a disc.
    Anyway to fix this w/o installing a new os?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Sherris.

You might want to check out this thread - it's very similar, and gives links, etc. to CD/DVD tools available for starting your machine.

Can you get your hands on any XP disk?

You might also check out this Microsoft article.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can download ISO image files that contain the Recovery Console. Simply burn the downloaded ISO file(s) as an image using your favorite burning software (or use the excellent freeware ImgBurn). I listed a couple of links for these files in this post. In the middle of that post there's a sentence that starts with "If you don't have an XP CD..." and I mention downloading the ISO files... the links are right there.... Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds