Buggy Lappy

Discussion in 'Software' started by sikvik, Sep 9, 2007.

1. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hello All, my first post here.

The R52 ThinkPad keeps getting Buggy/Slow :cry

Then one has to restore the sys to a check point where it was normal or do a restore to factory settings. But within 2-3 weeks it starts to play up.

The symptoms. 1) Slow boot up 4-5 mins as opposed to a minute and forty five. 2) Hard drive seems over active for quite a while and the mouse moves in a jerky fashion . Even scrolling pages on the net are slow and jerk ridden!! But this seems to get resolved in a few minutes.Slow boot persists.

Norton gives everything a clean chit as does SpyBot S&D.

What gives? Could it be BIOS or is it XP

I am sick of flattening the lappy every 2-3 weeks

Please help guys here's a screen shot of HT.Thank in advance.

Edited to add-Pentium M 1.6, 512 Ram

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If something starts out fast, then ends up slow, you gotta look at what you have installed or changed.

You only have 512mb of ram, yet are loading up 23 some odd startup items, and 20 some odd third party services. I'd almost be willing to bet that all of your ram is being used up before you get done booting, and that you are mostly paging from the hard disk.

With that kind of load, one of two things must happen, you need more ram, or you need to tweak your system. More ram would be preferable. Norton is not going to serve you well at all with that little amount of ram, so you amy want to look into a lighter solution.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download619.html

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

If something starts out fast, then ends up slow, you gotta look at what you have installed or changed.

You only have 512mb of ram, yet are loading up 23 some odd startup items, and 20 some odd third party services. I'd almost be willing to bet that all of your ram is being used up before you get done booting, and that you are mostly paging from the hard disk.

With that kind of load, one of two things must happen, you need more ram, or you need to tweak your system. More ram would be preferable. Norton is not going to serve you well at all with that little amount of ram, so you amy want to look into a lighter solution.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download619.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Adrynalyne for he prompt response.

After the last restore to factory I just added Norton, fire fox and Msoffice.
    Later on spybot when it gave me guff !! Why does it take a couple of weeks to play up if it's Ram related. Sorry to question you!!

Also are the # of startup and third party services alarming or ok. I'm a noob so if you could walk me through as to what to eliminate. Really appreciate any input.

PS: Doesn't windows handle the Ram each time one shuts down and starts up...also would you recommend any third party software that manages/frees up Ram.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I'm not sure if I made this clear, but the slow down in boot up is not gradual.It's all good for a couple of weeks after flattening the laptop. One fine day and BAM it takes more than twice the time to boot.While no new software or hardware has been downloaded or added.....

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Ok, picked up a 1GB stick of ram. Pulled out One256 stick and put in the new Ram for a total of 1256MB of ram..

No difference in bootup speed,still 4-5 mins

Flattened the laptop and installed Norton.Bootup back to well under 2mins(normal)

This morning started it up and it was fine .Was down loading (not yet installing) updates for Norton when the hard drive indicator lightsup for quite a while. Install updates and restart as prompted...:cry back to 4-5mins...

What gives Its got no MsOffice, Firefox or any other stuff noteven updated windows as yet!!

Pleas HELP.. Is it possible that the hidden directory fron where it restores itself to factory settings is corrupted.

Thanks very much to all who respond

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds