Build Assistance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac70, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mac70

Mac70 Private E-2

Ive got a new mobo, hardrive,CPU and memory to stick in an old case which has a working PSU and CD drive.
    Firstly Ive just looked thru the mobo manual and there are two jumpers on it.JP1 is Clear CMOS.Im not sure what that means and do I need to?
    JP2 is BIOS protect.Do I disable or enable?
    Secondly there is a support software disc that contains the drivers and its explained that it auto-runs with Windows.The problem is the drive is new and theres no OS on it.And Im putting Linux on it.What do I do?
    I thought a mobo would be pretty much PnP.My A+ Study Guide doesnt go into this.:eek:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No and no ....you don't want to clear the cmos at this time ....and no you don't want to virus protect at this time ..it won't allow you to put an os on it ...you can enable that after the os is installed (it stops overwriting to the MBR).

3. Mac70

Mac70 Private E-2

Thanks Tim,
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking but preffered to get advice first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds