Build Ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chocoolives17, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Chocoolives17

Chocoolives17 Private First Class

Hey everyone, Hows The New Year going so far?

So I am in the design process of a new computer. Currently I have a pretty nice computer, but i would like to incorporate a six core processor as part of my Gaming Rig. Current Specs:
    AMD Phenom ii X4 940be @ 3.5ghz(this is the max i can push this processor because my board doesn't have a very flexible voltage selection.)
    4GB OCZ SLI ready RAM. (This is bad ram...i get memeory management BSODs now)
    500gb OS Drive
    1TB Game Drive
    2TB Storage Drive(All WDs, these are staying...i will not be going solid state yet)
    GTX465(Staying...I need to rip it apart to see if it is a point of reference card...I bought it as an open box.I would love to Flash it to a 470...that would be the ultimate Price-performance right there...164$ i paid for it. )
    MSI K9A2CF (This board would be great if it didn't have so many problems. Bad USB Bus and stuff)

Anyways I am going to get the most expensive 6 core by AMD. The 3.3 ghz one. I was looking at the RipJaws RAM-8GB of it for 89$ on newegg. I also found a board that will suit me. I need the board to have at least 4 SATA 2 ports. 3 For my Hard drives and 1 for DVD drive. Though i am also open to suggestions. This is the Board i am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

I already have a heft PSU. 700Watts. So i don't have to worry about that.

What do you guys think? The build i am looking at was around 430 bucks.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I would spend $20 extra bucks and upgrade from a MSI to an ASUS:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M4A87TD-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294632965&sr=1-2

(Newegg is sold out of this model, Amazon has it. In the event of a DOA issue, Amazon will also pay return shipping during the first 30 days.)

On memory, I would research user reviews at Newegg or Amazon. Specifically, read even the "5 Star" reviews to see if anyone has experiences (good or bad) using the specific brand/model of memory with the six-core AMD and/or board you choose.

Good luck on your new build. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds