Building a comp for the first time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debauchee, Apr 11, 2010.

1. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

I have a few questions I'm sure will probably be pretty easy to answer but help would be much appreciated. I plan to build a computer for gaming mostly and probably multimedia usage.

1: as far as cases go there is a few different types i seen think they are micro, mid and full size. is there a benefit to each one?

2: Does size and slots on the motherboard define what case it goes in? (probably a dumb question)

3: I only have around 350$ right now to start with but plan to build over time, what order should I purchase things in? I dont want to buy say a 189$ processor now then by time the computer is done there be something 10 times better for the same price

4: is onboard graphics stupid for a gaming pc?

5: is it true that amd is a better processor for gaming?

6: What are some items that are ok to buy used, I know cases should be fine but is there anything else?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

1. It's the size of the case. Mid towers are between full atx and micro atx and I like mid towers.

2. No most cases will take any standard ATX form factor motherboard

3. 350 Isn't alot but it can be worked with.

4. Onboard video will be horrid for gaming. It also depedns on what games you want to play.

5. Intel and AMD both have there cons and pros. AMD is cheaper then Intel. So price to performance AMD wins.

I wouldn't suggest buying used parts. Only used parts I would buy is maybe the case.

350 isn't much for a gaming pc. You may want to save up some more so you will save money in the long run. Say you build a pc now and later on down the road you want a new cpu. You may have to upgrade your motherboard and get new ram. Just my two cents

Big suggestion is do not cheap it out on the power supply. Cheaping out on the power supply can lead the problems later on and could take out components like your video card, CPU, motherboard, etc.

good luck with your build.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Newegg link stopped working for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  4. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

i took a look at it before it stopped I think i might take your advice and save up a bit more before I start because I kind of want to build something that will last me awhile

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I would save up until you had around 500-600

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I cant read today what is wrong with me

This is not a complete system

Sorry

7. debauchee

debauchee Private E-2

is there parts that are more important than others that i should spend more money on? like cpu, video card other?

8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Depends on what you are going to be doing.

For gaming, spend a bit more on the GPU than the rest of the system put together, as a general guide. But the You also need good amounts of RAM at atleast DDR2 speeds and a decent Dual or Quad CPU.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have a different opinion on used parts. Of course, if you buy used, you are taking a chance, only deal with people with an established track record.

On many forums I go to, several people are constantly upgrading, building new systems, many just have to have the 'bleeding edge' new stuff. So, sometimes they will sell slightly used parts at a really good price. I bought several video cards back when I had a Folding Farm. Later on, sold them to someone on this site. YMMV. I always offer a money back policy if the item I sell is DOA, and I require the same when I buy. But, just my opinion, and I have been on some forums for several years, so I kinda 'know' some of the folks.

Don't go cheap on your build! Especially the PSU. I would save and buy everything at once, the prices are constantly going down. (on most things.) This is a good site to look for deals: slickdeals.net They have some good random items listed. Some computer related, some not.

TigerDirect.com sometimes has some good barebones deals that you might could upgrade in the future. Perhaps use onboard graphics until you can get a good GPU. Depends on what you need.

Have fun!! :-D I still love the feeling of doubt and excitement when I first press the power button on a new 'box'.

10. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The thing with barebones Fred is the PSUs offered. Here's a nice machine from Tiger yet it has a 300W PSU which is useless to the OP for heavier gaming! So add $50 for a better PSU and we're now at $300. Add an nVidia GTX260 GPU and now we're at $515. Add hard drives and opticals, if he doesn't have them to scavenge, plus a Windows OS and we're way over budget. BTW ATI GPUs are better priced for performance.

Main thing I think is what games do you want to play and at which resolution, which the gamers here could help you with. Oh, don't worry about multimedia capability here, gaming is way more demanding than that!

I just love the smell of new boards in the morning.:-D

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You are right about the combo's with the PSU, I chunk those when I get one. I never use a cheap PSU!! Well besides that one time... Learned my lesson.

I am not up on GPU's have been using Nvidia lately due to Folding, will take your word for ATI being the best card for the money.

Sometimes you can get a motherboard, CPU, case type combo at Tiger, or at the Egg, got to shop around.

Dang it! You folks are making me want a new computer!! Stop it!! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds