building a computer, need help & opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Recker, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Case & Power Supply - Ultra Glossy Red Dragon ATX Mid-Tower Case and Ultra 500-Watt X-Connect Power Supply HERE
    Motherboard - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum HERE
    Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor HERE
    Memory - Corsair 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM x 2 HERE
    Hard Disc Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB HERE
    Optical Drive - Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer - Black HERE
    Video Card - GigaByte GeForce 6600 256MB HERE
    Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum HERE

Ok that's my ideal computer. I'm looking to game a bit & mess with photo editing. I doubt I'm going to overclock. All that with WinXP Home cost around $1060 which isn't too bad. I'm willing to spend a little bit more as long as I'll notice the difference, but this should be good enough. I would like some opinions on what you'll think. Thanks.

2. russian master

russian master Private First Class

try www.cyberpowerinc.com. I am not too familiar with that motherboard, but i have ASUS A8V-E deluxe, and it works very well for me. I dunno how people are going to react to this, but I wouldnt get an os on it...just because its like 100 dollars cheaper to just install it yourself--borrow it from a friend. but then again, if your all into that legal mumbo jumbo, then go right ahead. Nice choice of processor, dvd and hd drives. However, i will warn you about that 6600...its basically the same thing as an x600 xt, and if your into gaming, ...not for you. I got the x600 xt thinking it was good...well, im going to be getting an x800 xl soon (compared to 6800), just because the 6600/x600 does not run games very well. It also depends on what games you want to run--I like playing Half life 2, warcraft 3, facry and the like...they require mucho graphics power. I just thought id suggest a better video card.

3. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion. I kind of figured that the video card needed to be upped a little. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

4. Recker

Recker Private E-2

One quick question. What is the difference in 2000MHz from the 1000MHz on motherboards. I know it's faster, but how? I'm not too good with this hardware stuff. Chosing the parts to this computer can be a little nuts. How about this. I'm willing to spend around $1300-$1400 on a computer, not including the monitor, keyboard & mouse, & OS. Just the main components. So suggest to me some computers for about this much. I'd really appreciate it. This is going to be the first computer that I actually build. Thanks again.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The fsb is just the way its stated all the new amd boards are 1000mhz they just double it like ddr memory,Getting your parts from 3 different suppliers sounds like trouble and your paying for 3 lots of shipping,if you can stick it all in one package you may be able to get free shipping aswell and all your parts will come at the same time,you can get building straight away. ;)

6. russian master

russian master Private First Class

what your willing to pay for it sounds a little on the expensive side. please look into the website i posted www.cyberpowerinc.com, thats where i got my computer, with ...basically my sig w/o the os, but witha 17inch viewsonic lcd...all for 1145 :)

7. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

it depend on you, if you OC or not.

8. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Another question to the wise... The RAM I have chosen isn't for gaming from what I have heard. If not, what RAM should I go for,& will 1GB be enough? God this is so confusing, too much to choose from, lol. I'll also try to knock up the video card too.
    OC meaning overclock? No I don't plan on overclocking.
    Thanks for clarifying the FSB stuff a little, but if the processor has a 2GHz FSB, should the motherboard also have? And for the most part the shipping from the suppliers I have chosen is free. So I'm not too worried about that.
    Ok ok, I'll look at that site. :)

9. Rikky

Chill out it aint confusing :) For your memory you want 2 sticks to make use of dual channel"which your board has"It accesses both sticks at the same time,for this you need a match pair,they come in kits like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450

The timings of the memory are important thay look like this for this memory 2-3-3-6,If you can afford it buy a dual channel kit with 2-2-2-5,lower the numbers the better,imagine the numbers as how long the memory has to wait before it can do anything,here is some with lower timings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145523

So now you ask is it worth going for the the more expensive ram?,well all these little extra bits of performance add up,but in your case you should put that extra money toward the the vid card or cpu and go for the cheaper memory.1 gig is plenty for gaming. :)

The fsb is the speed at which the comp comunicates with the cpu,using something called hyperthreading similar to ddr"double data rate" technology,now when they communicate for every one of those one thousand million signals the board will send to the cpu,at the same time the cpu can send one to the board,theoretically doubling the speed to 2000mhz,but in reality it doesnt.

The only thig you need to "worry" :) about is buying a 939 cpu and a 939 board in you can "manage" :) that they will work perfectly together.

:)

10. Recker

Recker Private E-2

The only reason I want to sound card is because I play guitar, & that particular sound card has a jack to hook my guitar up to it and record. Thanks a lot for the help Rikky. I didn't know what the deal was with the timing. Now I do. I'll probably go for the 1GB with lower timing & dual channel. I've got a little money to burn. I think I'm going to up the processor to a 3500+ venice core, which is about 120 dollars more, but worth it I'm sure. The video card I'm not sure about. I'm having trouble deciding... 6800, 6800GT, or 6800Ultra. Each with a 100 price difference in between at least. Please help with that. I just want to make sure this is the perfect computer for me. I'm not an extreme gamer, but I want to be able to play games like Doom 3, Half Life, & World of Warcraft. Also, looking to do some programming, but I don't think you need a huge computer for that, since I can do it on the one I have now. Also, cooling? What kind of cooling should I have. Water cooling is a lot of money. The case I have chosen comes with 2 fans, but someone suggested an internal fan. I don't know about that stuff either, lol. I'll try to figure out my final pieces and post it up here soon for overview. Once again, thanks for the help. Major Geeks is the best! :p

11. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Unless of course you know of a cheaper way I can record straight into my computer? :)

12. Rikky

I'v got a cheaper way dont buy one,your mobo comes with a built in sound card and 7.1 channel suround sound

:)

13. Recker

Recker Private E-2

That's cool. The motherboard I chose has a jack, or just a cheaper way?

14. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I think your Specs: no OC
    Asus A8N Sli Deluxe
    3000+ Venice
    dual 512 Corsair Value ram
    Antec or Enermax 450w
    6800GT
    sound (I have no idea)
    Case (I mod it so I have no Idea)

15. Rikky

Jack?If you mean audio in the microphone input is an audio in and yes the motherboard has one. :)

16. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Ok here it is -> Computer
    I don't know about the motherboard. Think I should be able to plug my guitar in it? It has 8 channel audio. I upgraded that also because I want to be safe, just incase I get happy one day and want 2 video cards... :p So I don't know. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. :)

17. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Oh, haha. I bet the ASUS one has that also, but is the microphone input the right size?

18. Rikky

No.its the same size as a headphone plug,you will have to buy an adapter that fits the guitar plug and has a headphone size plug on the other side,they cost about $1.00.lol :D

19. Recker

Recker Private E-2

lol, see I post before I think... I should have knew that lol. So everything looks fine on the computer specs? I might go for it then...

20. Rikky

What I just wrote here was crap,that psu is great!

21. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

with sound onboard it is not a professional sound. and then you are looking for good speakers

22. Recker

Recker Private E-2

So go for this computer? I'm going to start ordering soon if so, lol. I think it'll be pefect.
    It does not have to be professional. I'm not too worried about sound output quality. I don't plan on actually buying nice speakers. I will probably just use the ones I already have. As long as I can record into it with my guitar, I'm going to love it. It'll be better than using a stupid voice recorder and playing into that, lol. :p

23. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

You are a singer and you love songs. have you ever been composing songs.
    In vietnamese folk verses call "Good singers do not sing a song better than songs being sing always by one" and I think it is your taste.

24. Recker

Recker Private E-2

What do you mean by this? I can't play a song good if the quality is not good?

25. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

However you are not singer but you can sing a song that you like better than good singer.

26. Rikky

Looks good to me,you could leave it up for a while see if anyone else has some sujjestions,if not order away. :)

27. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Ahhhhhhhh :)
    I think you guys opinions are good enough. I'm still going to wait a few days to order... The rebate on the case ends the 30th. So if I decide to go through with it, it'll be soon. lol.
    Once again. I really want to thank you guys on the help. It has really helped me decide on what to do. Thanks to Major Geeks that we can communicate to eachother to figure our dreadful computer problems. :)

28. Rikky

Hell there are alot worse problems than workin out how to spend $1200.lol :p

:D

29. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Recker lose it for his new computer, what 's about you what do you spend it fo.....? Ha Ha ;)

30. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Yes, I know. But I said that because there will be worse problems and have been. This isn't the first time I've asked for help.

31. Recker

Recker Private E-2

You guys think I'd be better going with 2 6600's? I've heard it'll be faster than 1 6800. Plus, it's cheaper. Let me know.

32. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Well maybe not cheaper. But would be cheaper than 2 6800gts and is plenty enough power to run anything, or from what I've heard. let me know.

33. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Sli 6600GT is better than 6800GT. 6600gt get >4k at 3D05 with SLI you will fsee it smoothly

34. Recker

Recker Private E-2

awesome, lol. might go that route. I know i'm not going to buy one but the new 7800 almost outperforms 2 6800GT's lol. That's crazy. But for what i'm looking for 2 6600GT's will work just fine.

35. Rikky

I disagree,a single card is,at the moment much better than sli,I have seen alot of reviews and a single 6800gt beats 2 6600gt's in sli. :)

36. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Can you give me some links? This was my dumb friend talking. He could be wrong, lol.

37. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

38. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Well according to hardcoreware.net, it's better just to get one 6800GT in my case. So i'll probably just do that. The new card is like this too. 1 7800 can almost outperform 2 6800GT's... Who knows, maybe I should get one of those and be happy? lol. Thanks for the links A.Son.

39. Recker

Recker Private E-2

Anyone know where I can find some reviews on AMD64 3500+ vs a P4 3.4 or something like that. I want to know if I made a mistake going AMD. Course AMD is cheaper.

40. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I usualy use sisoft sandra or Everest for burning to get score
    if you really want to make a compare for review I think you have to get 2 computer system and then running some game test, rending test,.... so on

41. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

at a monent I can compare like this :

Attached Files:

42. Rikky

43. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

44. Rikky

Gaming a64 all the way,video,mp3 encoding intel takes it,unless you want to splash out on an fx. :)

45. Rikky

Dont forget all the top 6 or so intels cost twice as much as the amd's and give off twice as much heat.

46. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

yaeh, but now AMD t* is stable. could you show me the comparision of server between ADM and Intell? do you know any web link to it
    thanks.

47. Rikky

Nope not my thing,but I'm sure the dual xeon servers are the fastest. :)Most of the servers I have played on have them.

48. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

And now we are waiting for dual core between AMD and intel which one will be better ....

49. Rikky

A.son start a thread about it if thats what your interested in,reckers thread is almost completely hijacked.lol

50. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

So sorry about that,
    Thanks. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds